Organizing Preparing Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pjdobro

Organizing Preparing Hearts

Post by pjdobro » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 pm

A month or so ago I know there were several of us contemplating how to set up our notebooks, etc. for Preparing. I finally got our system in place and took some pictures. So here is what we did:

We used 4 1.5 inch Binders. The one on the left is for Science. We started by putting 50 sheet protectors in it. It's for storing the notebooking page, the answered questions, and science lab forms. The middle binder in the back is the general binder for Preparing. In it we have dividers for grammar, math, and writing which includes the poetry assignments and any other writing, and a miscellaneous tab. My ds has decided to put his written narrations in the writing section , but my dd wanted another divider for it so she has 5 dividers and ds has 4. :wink: The last binder on the back row is the history binder. All of the independent history goes in this one as well as any of the history projects that fit. We started with 50 page protectors in here also. So far we haven't used any dividers in the science or history binders. As the year progresses we may find we need some dividers.

On the bottom row left is a composition book for dictation. We are just continuing using our one from last year since it still had room. In the middle is the binder for DITHR. I decided to take apart the student guide and just put it in a binder so that we only have the units that we are going to do this year. On the right is the Common Place Book. I found these leather look journals at Dollar General. I gave my dc the choice of whether to use the journal or a regular composition notebook and they chose the journal. I thought they might choose the composition book since the lines are larger and there is more room for writing, but they like the special journal. :wink: On the very bottom is the vocabulary file. We use the larger index cards and this inexpensive holder that I got at Target.

Here is how we set-up the rest of our books. Each dc has a soft file basket for their notebooks and vocabulary holder. All of their other notebooks are in the magazine holder next to their basket. The clear magazine holder in the center holds the independent history and science books that they are using for their current unit. It seemed like a good idea to have a central place so that one dc would be able know if the book was in use currently.

All of the rest of our books for Preparing are on this one shelf. I rotate out the ones that they need each week for their independent activities.

I also tabbed our guide with those neat sticky tabs this year. I have a marker for our current unit, dictation, and poetry. I have a fourth one in there for the unit that I'm currently reading myself. :wink: I'm finding those sticky tabs really useful!

So that is what we are using and how we are set-up for this year. So far it is working great! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Re: Organizing Preparing Hearts

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Patty - this looks so great! Thank you so much for doing this as it is going to be such a help to those beginning PHFHG! I'll be starting PHFHG in a week and will definitely be pulling up this thread to get my things together. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:19 am

Thank you Julie. I know this is just one way to set things up, but I thought it might be helpful to some. I hope you will post your set-up as well. You are such a great organizer! I always gain so much in seeing your pictures and hearing your insights. :D
Patty in NC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Well, I was so thankful for this post, Patty, as I was putting together PHFHG at about 9 PM Sunday night, planning on starting at 8:15 AM Monday morning. :shock: Yeah, I know, flying by the seat of my pants, but I knew I had this post in my back pocket. :D :D :D I was really glad you listed out each of the different sections of work you were filing, because I have forgotten some of those every year, and then there is just this little catch all place we stash them we like to call "the back of the binder". :wink: I asked Riley how he wanted to do it, and he wanted 1 big binder. Wyatt wanted smaller different binders for things this year, so for him, we did that for RevtoRev. I'll post what we did for PHFHG too, just to show how you can put your own twist on things according to what you and your dc want, but still follow the same general format. :D

I used sticky notes to tab my PHFHG guide, as they are what I had on hand, and I was starting the next day. :D I tabbed "Daily Plans", "Narration Tips", "Written Narrations", "Dictation", "Math", and "Poetry".

One 3 inch 3-ring binder with these tabs...
Independent History, History Written Narrations, Science Notebooking, Science 5 Answered Questions, Science Experiment Lab Forms, and Poetry Writing

One recipe box with ABC tabs and 4 x 6 blank index cards for Vocabulary...

One folder with about 35 (plus a few more in case there are some mess-ups) copies of the Science Lab Form...
Image Image

Wide-lined Composition books, 1 each for:
Dictation, Writing, R & S English 3, Science

One special Common Place Book...
Image Image Image

32 Small blank index cards (plus a few more for mess-ups) cut in half...

Drawn into the Heart of Reading:
Figure out which genres I'm doing this year, and choose the books I am going to use for them. Tab with a sticky note in the DIHTOR Teacher's Guide the genre I want to start with. Divide the first book by 15 to figure out how to fill out the reading calendar in the Level 2/3 Student Book. Fill out the calendar (his calendar is partially crossed off because we were already doing it at the close of Bigger Hearts and are finishing it out). PIck out a kickoff for the start of the genre.
Image Image Image

Other things I did that don't have to be done, but I personally find helpful...
Have 2 plastic totes. One for the books he is using right now for the first 2-4 weeks only of school, and one for the other books to come. I switch them out as needed throughout the year...

Make a copy of the dictation to cross of as we go, marking errors on it as we go and using it to help with studying a redo of the passage (this is alright to do according the the copyright in the cover because I am not giving it to someone else, but using it for teaching my own child dictation).

I wrote out a copy of the cursive alphabet he learned last year in "Cheerful Cursive", a lower case and upper case cursive letter for each letter of the alphabet. I also hung onto the "Cheerful Cursive" book, so he can use the book and the chart I made as a reference for his cursive writing he'll be doing in PHFHG...
Image Image

I gave him a copy of his schedule, so he knows what order to do things in, about how long things should take him, and when he is working with me and when he is working alone...
Image Image Image

Happy planning! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I really like the extra sticky tabs you have in your manual. I have found myself flipping to some of those other sections quite a few times already this year. I think I might have to add a couple more stickies. :D I have been finding those heavy duty stickies so helpful this year.

That is one huge notebook for him, but I can understand having one book. It does seem cumbersome at times to have 3 different notebooks. My dc seem to be pulling out the wrong notebook about 1/3 of the time. :lol:

I really like that you have printed out all of those copies of the lab sheets. I've been printing them as needed and last week I forgot so the dc had to remind me! :shock: It's great that you have your timeline cards all ready too. I thought about cutting a bunch up to start with, but I was so afraid they would end up scattered all over the place before we used them or I would forget where I put them when we needed them. :lol:

I love the Common Place book that you got, and your inscription in the front is wonderful! What a special keepsake that will be for him. :D

That was such great thinking to keep out the Cheerful Cursive book and copy the chart with the letters. My dc have asked me several times to clarify how to write one of the uppercase letters. I think that would be really helpful for them. I already packed the Cheerful Cursive books away in the attic, but I might have to go dig them out.

Your set-up and pictures are always so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing. :D
Patty in NC

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Wow! Thank you Patty! Definitely going to bookmark this for next year!!! :D :D :D Where do you get these "sticky tabs"? What brand are they?
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Tina those are Post-it durable filing tabs similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/Post--Durable-Bin ... 443&sr=1-5 I actually got mine at Staples. Someone on the board here had these and posted about them last year. I had never seen them before and had been using regular sticky notes. These are so much better. They are made of a plastic and they reposition really well and they can be written on without smudging. I'm really enjoying using these! :D
Patty in NC

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

This is so great! :D Getting ready to do Preparing again and I could use this reminder on organization. :D

I know Julie did some similar threads and I thought there was a sticky somewhere on how to organize and prepare for ________ HOD guide. I know we have the intors too in the actual guide. Really all you need but I thought all those great posts with pictures of preparation where stickied somewhere on the board. Anyone know where?

Thanks! Our year is soon about to begin. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

pjdobro wrote:...That is one huge notebook for him, but I can understand having one book...
You are right! It is HUGE, and he is one LITTLE guy! :lol: But organization is not his thing, and neither are "transitions", so for him, 1 big binder works. :D
pjdobro wrote:I really like that you have printed out all of those copies of the lab sheets. I've been printing them as needed and last week I forgot so the dc had to remind me! :shock: It's great that you have your timeline cards all ready too. I thought about cutting a bunch up to start with, but I was so afraid they would end up scattered all over the place before we used them or I would forget where I put them when we needed them. :lol:
I didn't think to do either of these things at the start of PHFHG for Wyatt, but about the middle of his school year I decided to hit the quantity button on the copier for the # needed for the rest of the year instead of 1. I also snipped apart the rest of the timeline cards. However, sometimes, it's easier just to do it as you move through the guide because like you mentioned, things get lost. :D
pjdobro wrote:I love the Common Place book that you got, and your inscription in the front is wonderful! What a special keepsake that will be for him. :D
Thanks! I had fun taking him to Crossroads to choose one. I didn't do that with Wyatt back when he first started his Common Place Book in PHFHG. But, his first Common Place Book is now full, after 3 years of using it with PHFHG, CTC, and RTR. So this year, for his RevtoRev journal, I let him pick one at Crossroads too. :D
pjdobro wrote:That was such great thinking to keep out the Cheerful Cursive book and copy the chart with the letters. My dc have asked me several times to clarify how to write one of the uppercase letters. I think that would be really helpful for them. I already packed the Cheerful Cursive books away in the attic, but I might have to go dig them out.
Wyatt would ask me now and then during PHFHG how to write some capital letters in cursive. I wished all year I would have kept his Cheerful Cursive book out for reference, but I had packed it away in the basement... DEEP in the basement. :lol: So, for him I just jotted whatever letter he asked for on a markerboard. That worked too, though I honestly wasn't sure if I was jotting down the Cheerful Cursive version of the letter, as he pretty much self-taught himself with that (I was on bedrest at that time). So, I always wished I'd had it on hand still. For Riley, I decided both to copy the letters and keep the Cheerful Cursive book up. It's not necessary, but helpful. :D
pjdobro wrote:Your set-up and pictures are always so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing. :D
So is yours, and I am so glad you shared yours! I really LOVE the idea of a few versions of setting up. It shows how you can make it your own. You did a beautiful job of sharing, and I hope you do again for another guide sometime!!! :D :D :D You are a HUGE help on this board. Thanks for all your help and encouragement here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for taking time to share this, ladies! You may want to link it in the schedules thread too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Good idea, Carrie! :D I will be glad to do that.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks so much to both of you ladies for posting your setting up Preparing. :D

Julie, I can't figure out why you have a composition book for Science. :oops: Could you enlighten me? :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Thank you ladies. I'm a visual person, so seeing pics is very helpful. This year I started in the middle of our school year and didn't organize like I would have liked, so again this is very helpful.

Next year I plan to use mostly composition books. I kinda like that better than the binder method that we are using this year.

Blessings,
Linda<><
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for setting up BHFHG and LHFHG?
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 am

scampbell2003 wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion for setting up BHFHG and LHFHG?
BHFHG
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM