Missin HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaBear23Cubs

Missin HOD

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:17 am

I took a year off and continued with another year off and now I wished we stuck with HOD. Poo. LHFHG was a fun program but LHFHG was a bit hard but during that difficult time we learned my son had some medical issues and it was a reason for it not to be working. I cannot purchase for this year so I have to push thru what we have but I am using Drawn Into the Heart of Dakota for our readin and we are enjoying that part of our schooling. I look forward to the following year when we use Beyond and Bigger with my younger two. If there is an American program out next year for my 7th grader than I'd use it but I will plan on using Story of the World for my oldest. She enjoys that series.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

blessedmomof4

Re: Missin HOD

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:44 am

Hi there, depending on the skill level of your soon-to-be 7th grader, you could start woth Rev to Rev next year, which covers Early American history in the context of world history. It has a state study and a signers (of the constitution) study as well. The science is great, with a complete kit and inventor study. More important than historical period, however, is to make sure you check the placement chart so that your student is placed according to skill and maturity, for maximum success! I am using Rev to Rev with my 8th grader who is advanced in science, and CTC (soon adding the extensions) for my 7h grader who is an exceptional reader but is nor quite ready for the workload of Rev to Rev. HOD is so wonderfully flexible that way! And new guides are due out each year, all the way through high school :D By the way, with extensions and the option 2 science, Rev to Rev is meaty enough for a 9th grader :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 am

Mamabear23cubs - I am glad that you will be back with HOD. :D I had a year when Carrie was writing early on that I finished the guide she'd already written before she had written the next one, and we did something else. I sure missed HOD, too. :cry: What I used I ended up changing so much, and planning so much to fill in academic deficits and a lack of hands-on, that really it turned out I was just taking my weekends writing my own thing. I was so glad when Carrie finished that next guide, and I could come on back to HOD. So, welcome back, and I hope time passes quickly until you can start with HOD again! :D

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. You could start with just the Economy Packages of each guide, and use whatever you already have for LA and math if you wanted, but it would be nice just to start with it all and take advantage of the beauty of having complete plans for all subjects in one guide too. :wink:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I already have my year and next summer planned. If it goes as planned we will start American history next September/October . We currently live overseas and will be returning stateside towards the end of that study, if not than my littles get educated on their own country for a bit:)
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/