Carrie - I know there are "placement" pages

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof2n2

Carrie - I know there are "placement" pages

Post by momof2n2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 am

but, really, what grades did you mean each book to be?

For example, this year, I found Beyond a great fit for grade two. While I could have used your language and math for grade one for my son, I think the vocabulary in the history would have been a stretch for first grade - especially the use of english in Boys and Girls of Colonial Days. Even with my language/artsy son, some of the verbage is very mature. We are really enjoying it, but it is more mature.

So - after inHistiming invited my family to her home this week to look at LHFHG, Bigger and DITHOR :D - I have to say I am so confused!!!!!!!!

For us, it seems like my plan for LHFHG for first grade and Bigger for third grade is a stretch. For where I "see" my kids, LHFHG seems more K than grade one, skill and vocabulary wise, and Bigger seems like it would be a good grade 4 level. I also see that LHFHG uses CLP's Kindergarten science book and Beyond uses CLP's 2nd grade science text.

So - I am wondering what you planned as you developed these? I _know_ the wide ages are meant to offer families choice, but what did you mean for them to be with your family?

I am praying about using Bigger for grades 3 AND 4 - stretching it out. But sometimes things start to seem o-l-d when they last forever, and I don't want to lose his interest. Especially when we love the storytime and history SO much. I am afraid that LHFHG will be too young for my son in some activities.

But yet, I see Beyond as way to mature for first grade.

Anyone who has used LHFHG for first grade, will you please tell me -- was it mature enough? I'm not worried about math/language or even the history - History for Little Pilgrims will ROCK for grade one, but how did the rest fit with your 6 year old??

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 am

First, I am just now selecting our levels....

But, what I can say after over 9 years researching homeschooling materials...and 7 years of homeschooling...is this:

Lots of books can be used at multiple levels. It depends whether or not you have an independent reader, or are doing read alouds. It depends on how much you do in one sitting from a book. The joy of homeschooling is taking that flexibilility to the max and using it exactly how we need.

I am going to use LHFHG with my upcoming 1st grader who isn't an emerging reader. She's beyond K, but under par in the 1st grade realm. If she was reading well and had her math down pat, I'd move on to the next one.

I am using BHFHG with my upcoming 4th grader. We will be tweaking her program a bit on the areas where she is ahead using some supplements.

I think LHFHG would be fine for grade K or 1 pending what your child can do, and you can just add a bit more in the areas you see fit.

If you do a lot of reading with your children, since they enjoy that so much, you can easily expand your history studies and use things for 2 years in BHFHG without it getting dull.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 coming just from the research side of things.

Don't let what levels others put books at deter you. It all depends on your needs and how you use them.

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:10 pm

I think LHFHG makes a great 1st grade program, and Beyond seems like 2nd grade to me. Bigger would then be 3rd. But this is just my opinion.

:D

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:16 pm

It's really up to the individual kid.

Bigger would work for one kid in 2nd grade who is developmentally ready, but just barely fit for my kid in 3rd grade who is kinda a mix of beyond and bigger. Yet, looking through it I can definately see some 4th graders I know being a PERFECT fit for bigger too. Just different kids with different needs.

That's why the placement guides are so important.

It's about DEVELOPMENTAL STAGE versus "grade".

As much as my brain does not want to think that way, it's really the best way to educate the kids-- not about grade levels, but about where they are developmentally.

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:23 pm

Momof2n2 I think I understand what you're saying. In looking at LHFHG I sometimes think that some of the motor activities and such seem younger than a 6 year old, but at the same time I really think my kids will love it. I'm always thinking that finger plays, etc. are babyish, but my kids really love them and seem to retain the meanings that go with them. The history and Bible in LHFHG are really rich and I think the History for Little Pilgrims is considered a 1st grade text by CLP. For science, LHFHG also includes in the Appendix, text connections for the 1st and 2nd grade CLP texts, Our Father's World and God's Wonderful Works. The math explorations in LHFHG are linked to the kindergarten level of Singapore math, but from most everything I read, Singapore math is considered to be ahead of many other math programs. So even the so called kindergarten math program will probably be more advanced that what you would see in most schools. I haven't started it with my dc yet, but I'm going to give it a try with my 2 6 yos in the fall though I'll be using the LA and math from Beyond. If it doesn't seem to fit then I'll move them into Beyond for everything, but I really think they are going to love it :)
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:40 pm

I am having a hard time trying NOT to put a grade to each of the guides. If DD8 was still in school she be in 2nd grade. I am using Bigger with her and it's a perfect fit now verse waiting until the fall like I had planned. Another reason I am personally trying not to use 'grades' because my DD8 falls in between 1st-3rd grade currently depending on the subject you are wanting to know about.
I have other children and if I was gonna do it by grades it be
Little Hands-Preschool
Little Hearts-K
Beyond-1st
Bigger-2nd
Preparing-3rd
If you go with the extra or higher stuff it could go
Little Hearts-1st
Beyond-2nd
Bigger-3rd
Preparing-4th
My son is slow going so I may do Little Hearts twice instead of going very slowly with it.
HOD is like the Apologia books. You really cannot easily put a grade to them.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

mamaduke

I don't know what grade to claim to govt.

Post by mamaduke » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:42 pm

This is a really interesting thread to me, too. I am just starting this homeschool journey with my ds who will be 5 by fall. I think his placement is closest to Little Hands, although in some areas I think he is ready for Little Hearts. But we've decided to start with Little Hands just to get the homeschool ball rolling in my home.

So do I call that Kindergarten and then next year when we start Little Hearts, call that 1st grade? I have to report something to the state gov/ school district. I'm a bit hung up on the fact that Little Hands says it's a preschool program when my brain tells me he will be 5 this fall and should be in Kindergarten.

Plus, unsupportive to homeschool family is wanting to know if I have my kindergarten program plan for him for the fall. Can I just call it Kindergarten? Or is Little Hearts really the Kindergarten program?

Also, with the CLP Science books, I don't want to miss either the K book or the 1st grade book, but is seems when I do Little hearts I must choose one, and then with Bigger I get the 2nd grade book.

Help?
Thanks.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

shera

Post by shera » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Mamaduke You said your ds will be 5 in the fall. In AZ it depends on when they will be 5 if they start k. So my ds who turned 6 in Nov is technically a k'er according to the state. That said he has finished HOP, is working on Singapore 1a/1b and we are using the 1st grade CLP science book. I am using LHFHG. Theoretically if you want to school over the summer you could start Little Hands now and when he finishes that slide into LHFHG. I would get the k text for that one since that is what is originally intended for this program.
If you have to report a grade level to the state I would just report whatever grade he would be in if he were in public school.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:26 pm

momof2n2-

I'm so sorry I've confused you! :? :shock: :o I was hoping that seeing all of the manuals would help you...

I just want to add that I did not know about Little Hearts for His Glory when I ordered Beyond...for my daughter going into first grade. We probably would have ordered LHFHG if I had. Beyond... was wonderful...is wonderful, as we're finishing it now for second grade. But, since she was a struggling reader, it would probably have been a better fit for us to use Little Hearts... then, and Beyond... all through this year for second grade. As it is, we're finishing Beyond...now, and will move into Bigger...next school year.

So, I guess my point is, don't worry too much about 'grade' levels. The History, Science, Art, etc. can really be used with a large age range. You may be surprised by what older children will enjoy and learn from, and really have good memories of later. My older ds is 10, but he still likes to listen to dd's storytime, and is excited about the books. I think if you're concerned about going too fast through Bigger...maybe stretching it to 2 years, or even just 1.5, would be a great compromise. With your busy schedule it would seem to work well, and it would also allow time for you to supplement in areas where you think it's necessary. Please let me know if you would like to peruse Bigger...(or the others) more; we can always schedule another play date, or even a time where you and I could meet in the evening without kids if that works better. I'm sure Carrie will be along to address your concerns, as well as more of the other ladies here. God will lead you to the right place; trust in Him! :wink:

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:13 pm

I used Little Hearts for 1st and it has been perfect. I, too, thought the rhymes would be to "babyish". Boy oh boy was I ever wrong! :shock: Those are such a big hit and really bring home the history. Here's an example...

Washington see the tree and stops
Raises his hatchet and chop, chop, chops
The tree falls down
Now what to do?
Better tell the truth!
(2 or 3 more verses)

There are little motions to go with it. Each week, they just love learning their new rhyme!

I had already done MFW K, so we used a different phonics and I used a different math, but I do agree with a pp that Singapore is advanced and the math the is scheduled would be fine for 1st. Children in Singapore don't start 1a until 7 years of age.

The storytime has some difficult vocabulary that will take some maturity to handle (unless you enjoy stopping all the time for an explanation....I don't!). My kids absolutely LOVE Burgess....can't get enough!! The history readings are fun and we love all the activities scheduled to go with them. Monday, we will read about Lewis and Clark and make a vest from a grocery sack (which I have to go to the store and get tomorrow) and paint a riven scene on the vest. See....great for 1st or K!

The guides offer such a variety of activities, with just enough of a predictable schedule, that boredom is pretty much out of the question. My kids look forward to school everyday because they never know what the activity will be, but they know it will be fun!

Please, ask us if you have any other questions. Everyone on here is so helpful and I learn something every day just from reading all the posts!
:D Mle
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Tabitha

Re: I don't know what grade to claim to govt.

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:20 pm

mamaduke wrote:This is a really interesting thread to me, too. I am just starting this homeschool journey with my ds who will be 5 by fall. I think his placement is closest to Little Hands, although in some areas I think he is ready for Little Hearts. But we've decided to start with Little Hands just to get the homeschool ball rolling in my home.

So do I call that Kindergarten and then next year when we start Little Hearts, call that 1st grade? I have to report something to the state gov/ school district. I'm a bit hung up on the fact that Little Hands says it's a preschool program when my brain tells me he will be 5 this fall and should be in Kindergarten.

Plus, unsupportive to homeschool family is wanting to know if I have my kindergarten program plan for him for the fall. Can I just call it Kindergarten? Or is Little Hearts really the Kindergarten program?

Also, with the CLP Science books, I don't want to miss either the K book or the 1st grade book, but is seems when I do Little hearts I must choose one, and then with Bigger I get the 2nd grade book.

Help?
Thanks.
At this point I'd say whatever age he is for a grade level, that is the grade he is in. It doesn't matter the materials you use. If you feel the preschool one suits him better, start with that. You may find you move fast, or you wish to add a few extras to beef it up. Just because some one uses this for preschool, doesn't mean someone can't use it for K. I wouldn't say he's in preschool.

Melanie

Re: I don't know what grade to claim to govt.

Post by Melanie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:35 pm

mamaduke wrote:This is a really interesting thread to me, too. I am just starting this homeschool journey with my ds who will be 5 by fall. I think his placement is closest to Little Hands

So do I call that Kindergarten and then next year when we start Little Hearts, call that 1st grade? Can I just call it Kindergarten? Or is Little Hearts really the Kindergarten program?

Yes! You can most definately call LHTH your K year! I personally think it makes a great K program.

Awhile back, Carrie mentioned why she uses the CLP K book with Little Hearts and the CLP 2nd one with Beyond.....they are the best ones! The first grade one can be skipped over with no problem (although that is the one I choose without knowing the K one was better....live and learn :roll: )
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Thank you for all the responses!

inHistiming!!! - YOU did not confuse me! :D Seeing the books just showed me that my confusion over which-grade-is-which was real and not imagined. ;)

The responses here HAVE helped in these ways:
*I didn't know that Singapore was considered advanced. We use MUS so I have never seen Singapore.
*I didn't see the previous thread where Carrie explained why she used CLP K and CLP 2 when she did. Very honestly, that helps clear up how the science books don't go sequentially.
*Hearing that others had first graders doing LHFHG helps. And THANK YOU for saying you worried that the playing was babyish but that your kids liked it anyway. :D I can totally SEE my son loving it, but of course, good old Mommy guilt makes me worry about not challenging him enough. [When DS#1 did first grade it was a "baby year," so there were big old chunks of time that school was a little on the lite side... and he does great... so I don't know WHY I worry about babyish... but I did. :oops: ]

SO - given that - I feel much better about doing LHFHG for first grade!
THANK YOU!!

HOWEVER, now on to my older son. ;)

I was just thinking that I am totally missing something, though.
If LHTH is preK and
LHFHG is K then
Beyond would be 1st.
Bigger would be 2nd.... right?

But see, we are almost done Beyond and even though my son is an excellent reader and creative writer, even his eyes gloss over as I read Boys and Girls of Colonial Days. The prose is very mature, I think. Now DS#1 is almost through grade two and is doing third grade spelling/vocab and and finished second grade language, [ABeka spelling and First Lang. Lessons for the Well Trained Mind - b/c we'd already started before I heard about HoD] but still he gets lost in the more descriptive, less straight forward sentence structure of Boys and Girls of Colonial Days... So, I just have a hard time imagining Beyond for 1st grade :arrow: FOR MY KID. Therefore I worry [not tons... but admittedly some!] that if I start Bigger for third grade, it might be meaty enough for 4th grade and we will lose his passion for reading and even history if it is too far over his head. But then... what would I do for third?

Can I hear from those of you who have done/are doing Bigger with third graders? Are they loving it?

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:15 pm

MELANIE -
thanks for the info. about the Burgess books, re: more difficult vocabulary.
From the titles of the books, I was worried that they sounded very young. I am actually ENCOURAGED that they had more challenging vocabulary words! :D
See, when I see - Read Reddy Fox, pp 1 - 4, it sounds [I've not seen the books] like, "yeah, right! He will NEVER be satisfied with only 4 pages!" But knowing it is somewhat challenging is a good thing!
Thanks! :D

[I did Little Pilgrims with DS#1 without the benefit of HoD, so I am really, really, really excited about using Carrie's ideas to enhance that text. It is such a wonderful, wonderful book, IMO. I did use the CLP teachers' guide, but not consistently... (baby year ;)) As a matter of fact, my love for Little Pilgrims is so great that it is probably the #1 thing that sold me on HoD off the bat AND it is why I just want so much to talk myself into using LHFHG for first grade :oops: ]

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 am

Thanks, from me too, to everyone for this topic. I feel better about using Little Hands for Kindergarten and moving onto Little Hearts for 1st grade. I'm actually very excited! I'll have to check and see what my state requires for age placement. I don't know. I've been told you don't have to report kindergarten, but I should check. I'm thinking I'll do 100 easy lessons with him at the same time, just since I already have that book and we'll see how it goes.

Again, You've been very helpful and encouraging.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!