Okay - HOD has won...but Bigger or Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

Okay - HOD has won...but Bigger or Preparing?

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:13 am

I just did a post here, trying to sort things out...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1023

I talked to dh tonight, did more looking around, searching all 18 pages of posts...and...this is the curriculum our family needs, I'm convinced of that.

I did look at the placements, and my up coming 9 yo 4th grader can place in Preparing. However, I think I want to start with Bigger. I like the idea of doing more American History (dd enjoyed it in MFW Adventures but didn't retain much...I wanna make sure she grasps more).

Would it be wrong to redo American History with Bigger, vs. moving into Preparing?

Also...for a 4th grader, would I still do DITHOR 2/3 with Bigger (since that is what Bigger calls for)? We've never done a reading program before. I was thinking I'd need to use the more advanced readers.

I do worry about the spelling in Bigger, and that she'd need something else...so I'm not sure about that part (we're using R&S Spelling 3 right now).

I plan to show dd Bigger and Preparing tomorrow afternoon and get her feel for which history era she'd like to cover. Right now we are doing MFW ECC.

Also...for my upcoming 1st grader...I'm going to use Little Hearts (she's a bit behind in the math dept and isn't ready for reading/copying that much, so Beyond isn't for her). I'll hold onto MFW 1 for a bit...but don't think I'll be using it at all.

Any thoughts out there? Bigger seem okay? I didn't want to go too under grade level....

Bigger isn't set in stone yet...but we will be with HOD, and it's a matter of deciding which ones at this point.

Thanks for all the hand holding, and mulling this over with me!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:09 am

Good Morning Tabitha,

You have done all of your homework and I so enjoyed reading through your thoughts. I definitely think you could do Bigger instead of Preparing if your child fits in both.

I have a question? Is the only reason your considering "Bigger" because of the American History? Here is my thinking..., (Warm warm smile)

If you choose Bigger just for the American History/Science and your math, Lang arts, spelling don't match up that you might find it taking away some of the "ease of use" that HOD brings. Now you will have to find other programs for those subjects, meaning you lose that all inclusive part of the program.

With that said, what I personally LOVE about HOD is it's flexibility. That you CAN use Carrie's suggestions or you CAN try other things. (excited smile) As a matter of fact, "We" use different programs for the basics. (Time4Learning for Math and Lang Arts and Spellingtime.com for spelling) I am using HOD spelling, LA and Math with one of my boys.

I have children with processing issues and they needed the multi-media approach for those core subjects. But there are days I wish I could just do it like it's written.

I don't know if you have this option, but my girlfriend Christa (Granolamom6 from this board) and I have both met with moms in our community to let them go through our HOD and to answer questions. Do you have a support group in your area where you could ask if anyone is using HOD and if you could come over and look at it? I think that would help immensely.

I love the lesson plans on this site as it helps SO MUCH. But having the books in hand to look at adds a lot too!

I hope this helps. It's early and I'm still on my first cup of coffee :roll: :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:40 am

(first, I just took a benadryl for my insane allergies, so forgive me if my post sounds fuzzy) LOL

Oldest -- Bigger with older kid supplements (cant think of what it's called, LOL)

Middle kid -- Bigger with spelling reinforcement?

Youngest -- Little hearts

Looking at that, it sounds good!

There's NOTHING wrong with reinforcing history in your oldest. I think it sounds like a solid plan!

As far as spelling-- yes a 4th and 5th grader will need more advanced spelling (in my opinion). You can do that either with your own program, or choose words from their history, poems, etc...

Congrats! YOu have a great plan! Doesn't it feel great???

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:21 am

I plan to use everything in Bigger (or Preparing if that is what I get).

I do have my own math and grammar. However, I want the Singapore Math as well just to give a mix with a bit more mental math...nothing overwhelming. Our math is Saxon 5/4...and our grammar is First Language Lessons 4 (it's on pre-order with PHP/WTM) alongside their writing program coming out WWE. My dd needs serious handwriting help so I am not worried about too much in this area.

For Spelling, after I get in whichever program, I'll add what I feel is needed. She does great in R&S 3 while doing her lessons, but doesn't retain things beyond her tests. Again, I'm not worried about doing something a bit below and adding to it.

Off to show dd the programs now and see what she prefers to do. I do feel that going with Bigger with be a bit easy, and perhaps nicer for me so I don't get as stressed getting use to a new program...and also since I'll have multiple programs (I'm thinking I'll pick up a third for the 3 yo...she needs something).

And yes...it does feel good. At times, it's just letting go of what you *think* you need to do.

Can anyone give examples of the spelling words farther into Bigger so I can see how it progresses?

And no, no one in my area has heard of this. I know several using MFW that are struggling a bit as I was with it...and I plan to link them here to HOD and perhaps I'll be helping them if they switch!

Thanks!

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:39 am

She has chosen....Bigger! It made it easy to chose when she found out she'd be getting Preparing the following year - lol.

The only overlap or things to work out that I see now, are the poems in FLL...but she loves poetry so I don't see that being hard to juggle. Then, whatever with spelling.

Now to decide how big of a package to buy. I need dh for that one!

This makes it hard not to jump ship and ditch the rest of the school when our HOD lands here.

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53 am

I will come back in about 30 minutes and type out some sample spelling words for ya! :D I HAVE to get my 5 year old bundled up in all his soccer gear and uniform or he'll be late! LOL

Edited to add--

She made a decision! Hooray!
Bigger is wonderful. Wish ya lived by me cause I'd just meet up with ya and let you drool over everything so she could see what it all looks like! LOL

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm just picking random weeks here

Bigger Unit (week) 15
words with "er" as in "her"

mother
other
letter
better
winter
sister
helper
summer
together
water

Bigger Unit 26
words with "ow" as in Cow

towel
flower
frown
crown
brow
plow
clown
around
about

There's also a unit that covers weeks, numbers (one, two, seven.,...)contractions, etc...

If you do the dictation and poems, there's words to learn for those too, but I didn't type those out. (kid on my lap) LOL

Beyond spelling words
In Beyond, there are two spelling list choices for each week, you can choose either list. Here's random samples of that too...

Unit 5
Short "u" words
list 1
up
us
bus
cut
but
fun
run
rub
of
from

List 2
club
jump
must
shut
much
upon
just
lunch
some
full

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm

joyfulheart -

Thanks for taking the time to do that for me!

I think she'd find those words on the easy side...but I can always beef that up a bit for her if needed. I don't mind reinforcing what she knows, and you are so right about what the poems bring into the mix. I hadn't thought about that.

I think Bigger will be a wonderful fit for my 8 yo...soon to be 9!

Thanks again!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:27 pm

I believe there are also dictation passages in Bigger, so that might work for you. Maybe Joyfulheart could post a sample of one of those? pretty please?? :D

I think Bigger with the extension pack could work for you, since you plan to sub your own math and lang. arts. I do however, agree with Mary. It's just much easier to have a match for every subject, open that book and go! 8)
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 pm

The spelling in Bigger is pretty easy for my daughter. I also have a spelling workbook to along with it. I have her put the HOD spelling words into sentences and do what it says in the box. I also do the Dictation along with it. So far its going well, then again it's only going on week 3 tomorrow.
I am currently using FLL and am almost finished with vol.2 and getting ready to go to vol. 3. I didn't know they planned on going past vol.3.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:05 pm

MamaBear23Cubs wrote:The spelling in Bigger is pretty easy for my daughter. I also have a spelling workbook to along with it. I have her put the HOD spelling words into sentences and do what it says in the box. I also do the Dictation along with it. So far its going well, then again it's only going on week 3 tomorrow.
I am currently using FLL and am almost finished with vol.2 and getting ready to go to vol. 3. I didn't know they planned on going past vol.3.
We used for FLL for 1 and 2 and loved it. We only went over to GWG to try something different. We liked both. I'm anxious to see the new FLL 4 when it comes out. I just love the format of this book.

We also have the FLL companion cd. I'm not sure if they sell it anymore since I don't see it on the PHP site. We LOVE that cd, and wish there were more for each level.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:52 pm

There are dictation passages for children to use that have mastered the spelling list in Bigger... Here are a couple examples:

Passage 1
Sue has a bird.
It can call and sing.
king ring wing

The words in bold print are new words. The 3 words at the end are extension words for "students who are ready for more of a challenge" is how Carrie puts it in the dictation instructions page.

Passage 57
The robin came north in the spring. She made her nest in the old apple tree.
king ring sing wing

Passage 102
Fred takes a lesson on Monday and Friday. Do you take your lessons on those days?
bed led red bled sled fed Ned wed fled shed

Now, I have not used dictation for spelling yet; next school year will be my first time with ds 10. The manual says to let the student look over the passage, making sure you (the parent) write any difficult words on a markerboard or paper for the student to focus on. Also, we are to bring attention to the capitalization and punctuation marks that are used. When the student is ready, the parent removes the dictation passage, and begins calling it out, "one phrase at a time". We are to pause and let the student repeat it to us, then write that phrase; continue this until we have done the entire passage. The student will then look at the passage for mistakes, and compare it to the key in the manual. The idea is that "all items in the sentence must be correct, including punctuation marks, before going on to the next passage." If not, then they will repeat the passage each day until they can write it all perfectly. And, if I'm not mistaken, there is no repeating by the teacher...is that right?

My son is fairly good at spelling. However, I'm wondering if the dictation might be difficult for him because it requires extra careful listening, and remembering what I said. So, we'll see how it works. There is a thread here somewhere about this subject, where Carrie makes some suggestions for those using Bigger...with a child who has surpassed the spelling list and the dictation passages. Anyone know where that is? If I find it, I will come back and post the link. HTH

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Ummmm...I didn't even think of history cycles...timing them to be done in time for 9th grade. Saw that on another posts....

Now I'm back to not being sure - lol.

I might buy both manuals first and look over them, and then decide which route to go.

I could always skip Preparing the following year. Or, if we move fast we might be off sinc 1/2 year or less...and I guess that would work.

Tab

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Tabitha! Sorry I'm coming to this discussion a bit late. I'm so excited for you that you've decided on HOD - I know you'll love it!! I'm finishing up using Bigger... and will be doing Preparing... next year. I feel in my heart that whatever direction the placement chart had you leaning toward (putting aside the history choice), would be the best one to go with. We've used the placement chart and found it to be very accurate every time. Now, if the placement chart had your child placed smack dab in the middle of the 2 programs, maybe consider whether you will stay right on track doing Bigger... It is a 5 day plan, 34 weeks in length, so if you're starting it on the easier side for your child, you'd want to complete it in the 34 weeks. Preparing..., on the other hand, is a 4 day plan, 33 or 34 weeks. Since it is on the harder side for your child, you could take longer to finish it, if need be, so it's a little more flexible timewise.

The dictation in Bigger... gets progressively harder (as inHistiming's kind post shows), and the copywork of the classical poetry gets harder too. These 2 things have worked nicely hand-in-hand to make my ds a good speller - praise the Lord! I think that you'd find your child would retain much of this and continue to spell well too. Preparing... will have a choice of 2 levels of dictation in it, with the second one being more difficult, so it will offer more difficulty there. Placement is the hardest part of all of this, so you are right to spend some time on it - just know, once you've decided, it'll be smooth sailing! Keep posting questions if you have more - we love to help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:33 pm

:lol: This is the whole reason I'm using Little Hearts for first grade! I'm so hung up about things coming out "even" and I have to do Preparing for 4th to make it come out right! It's very annoying sometimes...esp. to those around me. :? No help at all....just complete understanding!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02