The Reading Lesson Combined with ETC....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

The Reading Lesson Combined with ETC....

Post by LeAnna » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm sorry... I accidentally posted on the other board instead. :oops:

Have another question..... Has anyone used the two together?? How did it work for you? Did it flow easily together? And, did you end up getting the half books, ( 1 1/2, 2 1/2, etc.) or just the whole number series?? Are they needed??
I am thinking of using them with TRL, just to give a little more practice, but was curious about how it would work.

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:16 pm

I do Explode the code in addition to phonics, no problem!

The whole books have little quizzes at the end. If your child has trouble grasping a skill it will be obvious on the tests. If you want more review for that skill, you can buy the 1/2 book and work on it. Otherwise, you just move up a level.

I LOVE Explode the code, we use it for my dyslexic son who really needs more work in the phonics skills. It's perfect, but his non-dyslexic brother loves them too!

We only do 1-2 pages a day. Some days, if I REALLY need a minute to do something, I'll have him do an extra page or so. LOL

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 pm

LeAnna,

We have used ETC books with my second son, and they were a good fit for him. We did use books 1, 2, and 3 (and later thought the half books would have been a good idea). Book 4 is really a jump in ETC and is a good stopping place when moving into a more spelling approach to the rules, once phonics instruction has been completed. I wouldn't use ETC wtih a kiddo who doesn't like to write though (my first-born would have been in tears)! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie