Newbie to HOD-question about Aesop's in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
all-is-grace5

Newbie to HOD-question about Aesop's in Preparing

Post by all-is-grace5 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 am

We will be using Preparing this year but I would prefer to use Winter's version of Aesop's Fables. Only the page numbers of McGovern's book are written in the Preparing manual so I'm not sure which fables you chose for study. Do your choices fit with the rest of the program or should I just randomly pick a fable? Do you study one fable each day or several? Thanks for your help, I am excited to start Preparing and LHTH with my preschooler's!

kvmck

Re: Newbie to HOD-question about Aesop's in Preparing

Post by kvmck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't have answers...I actually had a question along those same lines. I have several aesops books and so, b/c of limited funds, didn't want to buy another one, although I think I can get the one in Preparing from the library if I had too.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

pjdobro

Re: Newbie to HOD-question about Aesop's in Preparing

Post by pjdobro » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:11 am

I looked it over and in general the dc will read 3 to 4 of the fables each day. On the days when other reading is included, it's more like 1 or 2 fables. The book is scheduled to be read over 24 days and there are 67 fables so that gives you an idea that on the average, it's around 3 per day. I have the Milo Winter book as well and compared them. The fables are similar in length in both books, but the language is a bit different. I'm guessing she chose the McGovern book because it is the about the right level for the dc doing the extensions to read. In just looking at them, I think the Milo Winter book might be a bit higher reading level. If you want to cover the same fables at the same time, you could look at an online preview of the book at a bookseller to see the table of contents. I thought it would just be easier to use the scheduled book, and it wasn't expensive so I got it. That way I didn't have to worry about redoing page numbers or scheduling it out myself. I do think you could use the other one easily enough though if you want to schedule it. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1