i need more literature suggestions to correlate

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kristin0713

i need more literature suggestions to correlate

Post by kristin0713 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:33 am

So this is our first week using LHFHG and we are all really enjoying it. The only thing missing for us is more literature suggestions. My DD LOVES to sit and listen to read-alouds. She would have had me read the entire Reddy Fox book in one sitting if I had been willing. I know there are suggestions in the back of the guide but none of them are at my library. I am looking for suggestions that correlate with the themes that are more Sonlight-like--as in, excellent children's literature. I don't want to have to dig around through all of my resources to put together a list. Is there a resource already written for this?

NaturalTXMama

Re: i need more literature suggestions to correlate

Post by NaturalTXMama » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Me too!

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 am

(Part of post removed by moderator per board rules.)

Also, books like Honey for a Child's Heart and Jim Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook are great resources. I usually bring these books to the library with me and use them when I'm putting books on hold.

HTH,
Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

kristin0713

Post by kristin0713 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 am

I have those books, too, as well as What to Read When, and a plethora of booklists - SL, FIAR, etc. I just would love a list already that correlates with the themes each week so I don't have to go digging through all my lists and resources to come up with titles. (part of post removed by moderator per board rules) That would be an awesome addition to LHFHG.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Ladies,

I'll just move this post over to the Main Board, as all new posts begin on the Main Board. :D This folder is actually for testimonials for those who have completed LHFHG.

As far as your thoughts on literature goes, I'll share a bit more on our philosophy in this area, which will help you understand why we have set up LHFHG as we have! :D

We are most definitely a literature/living books company, as Drawn into the Heart of Reading was the first guide that I wrote. However, there is a difference between reading purely for pleasure and reading for a purpose. At HOD, we tend toward purposeful reading, because that is the type of reading that requires skill and discernment, even though we still want kiddos to take joy in their books too. :D On the other hand, reading for pleasure is easily accomplished, and requires less thought and less focused concentration.

Each of our guides is very purposeful in gradually moving children toward the skills required for purposeful reading and for the more important goal of reading with moral discernment. In LHFHG the purpose for the Storytime box of plans is to move children toward listening to longer chapter-book style readings, with fewer pictures, and a more a difficult vocabulary. :wink:

We strive to move children away from picture book style reading, and nudge them gently forward toward listening to a longer continuous story, allowing them to live with characters for a longer period of time. This helps students get to know the characters and settings better, and allows students to make predictions about how the character will respond based on the knowledge the children are gaining about the character(s) as the children progress further and deeper into the world of the character. :D This type of learning is encouraged through our follow-up activities that range from comprehension, to vocabulary, to cloze passages, to questions about moral discernment, etc. each and every week. :D

As you can see from the description above, we are planning for the important skill-building reading. (Although often the skill-building reading is filled with pleasure too! :wink:) While we could put together a list of extra books to simply read for pleasure on your own, we find it more important to teach the area of reading the way CM advocated, with fewer books of a higher quality read more slowly over time. This is an area where we differ from many other companies. We agree with CM in this area, which is the focus you will see our guides take too. :D

If you desire more literature to read for pleasure, there is no shortage of sources that recommend such literature. At HOD, we are very selective about the books we recommend and carry, and each book is purposeful in the part it plays within our guide. :D

Blessings,
Carrie