Prayer request - Starting Rev to Rev

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Prayer request - Starting Rev to Rev

Post by Lynnw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 am

I posted a week or more back about coming back to HOD this year. (I have one in Preparing and two in Beyond.) I did not place my oldest at that time. He loves to read and hates to write. We did part of RTR last year until my dh came home on leave from Afg. (He is now home for good!), but at the time the disruption got us off track. When the other children asked to return to HOD a couple weeks ago, I didn't suggest it to my oldest. I decided to pray about it instead. Then last week he came to me to ask for a change with his science. I said I was glad he wanted to talk, because I wanted to discuss his history. He had been doing a ton of reading, but not any writing, and I told him that was insufficient to count for history. Anyway, long story short.... he liked what I showed him about the science in RevtoRev, so I told him it was a package deal - we need to do the science and the history. He was agreeable to that. I do think this is an answer to prayer! Because of some other things we are doing this year, I'm not going to be able to incorporate all components of RevtoRev - so I suppose we are economizing - doing the history and both sciences (though I will not complain if he asks for us to add in more from the guide later!).

Our RevtoRev order is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday (7th). We will have a short week this week and next so I plan to start with day 1 and 2 this week (Thursday and Friday) and day 3 and 4 next week. Will you please pray that his heart and head are willing to do the assignments without complaint and that he will be blessed in doing them? I know in the long run we will be happy with the change, but I would love for us both to be blessed with peace and joy from the very beginning. He is the guinea pig who has suffered the consequences of past curriculum hopping, I would love for him to feel like we have finally found "curriculum home sweet home." Please pray for both of us.... also for me to have patience and trust in the Lord whether our start is smooth or rocky.

Thank you!
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

4Hispraise

Re: Prayer request - Starting Rev to Rev

Post by 4Hispraise » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Praying with you!!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I am praying for you and your ds Lynn! I am thinking it may start the ball rolling in the right direction if you let him start half-speed for 2 weeks. :D That will let him have time to ease into each box and not feel rushed as he's starting. However, you know your needs best as far as scheduling here, so that's just a thought. :D My ds just finished his first week in RevtoRev, and he said he LOVES this science. He's also been pretty engrossed in "George Washington's World", "Amos Fortune", and the Inventor's book. I hope your ds enjoys it too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:57 pm

That is so wonderful that your ds is going able to do Rev2Rev. I'll be praying that it blesses you both! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Thank you ladies for your prayers. It helped me so much today. Ds and I had a couple difficult moments and I was able to stay calm and FIRM which is what I was most concerned about.

Julie, thank you for the suggestion to start half pace - we did! And we may need to stay half pace for longer than I would have thought. He was very unwilling to discuss the questions for Amos Fortune, so I modeled answers (though I really thought he was capable :cry: ). And he balked at the thought of doing a written narration. He has worked on it and will finish it when he gets home from chess lesson tonight. I will need to adjust our language arts schedule to match the guide better. My original plan for writing was Jump In, but I will either need to switch to the Creative Writing recommendation (why didn't I go on and get it? :oops: ) or cut Jump In back to once a week (twice at the most). I did postpone Jump In for today since he had the narration.

Anyway, more detail than you wanted, but just wanted to say thank you for your prayers and please continue to pray for us if you see this update.

(On a postive note, he enjoyed looking through the pictures of the signers and we talked about how the two Lee brothers were related to Robert E. Lee. He had been reading about the Lee family in a Landmark book about LaFayette)
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3