Sons wants to study a different history

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Sons wants to study a different history

Post by deltagal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:35 am

I'm all set to go with materials for RTR. We're finishing CTC today. My high school plan is RTR for 9th grade. But my 14 yo son is suddenly just dying to study contemporary American History. HOD doesn't have contemporary American History, yet. He's been talking about it for weeks. We discussed and decided in the spring to go with RTR, but now he doesn't "remember" that discussion. I keep telling him he can check all the books he wants on American History out of the library to read at his leisure, but he doesn't want to spend his leisure time reading books. I'm in a quandry. I believe a great deal in following one's passion, but... My thought is to simply provide him with contemporary American history books on his bedside table for his free reading and see what happens. Any thoughts?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

water2wine

Re: Sons wants to study a different history

Post by water2wine » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:16 am

Just a BTDT example. My dd was over the top to do economics. Just had to do it in 8th grade. Really interested in how the world works financially. Talked about it all the time. I finally got her an economics course that was 10-11th grade level but I called the company and they said it was OK for my dd's level if she wanted to do it early. We researched it and it was the one I planned on using later. I let her know it was going to be hard and had her read the sample. She's a really good student and loves to read. It took about 2 weeks for that program to end up on our shelf. It was not that she could not do it. It was more her expectations did not meet the reality and we decided to let that sit until she was more ready for it. :wink: I have learned that it is more about selling them on the path you have for them and letting them follow their delights within that path. So now if they have interests I let them pursue them but not in a way that changes the entire course. :D I think your idea to let him have books on his shelf to follow passions is a great one. I think once he actually gets to doing RTR he will feel differently. My dd has just absolutely loved RTR on the high school level! :D Thinking your son will too. If HOD is your plan for high school then as it is written now you would be wiping out two years of HOD by going that path now. For myself I would not be willing to give up the peace and flow of HOD just for a delight. In the end I think pray about it and ask God to show you what He has for you. Doing that was exactly what gave me the peace to go with HOD for high school. I know God is very faithful and He will show you what He wants for your son. :D I really believe that call is very individual but just thought I would share my thoughts in case they help. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

lharris

Post by lharris » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 am

I agree with previous poster, don't disrupt your HOD flow and plan. My other suggestion is you might look at www.yesterdaysclassics.com to add a living book for comtemorary american history. Carrie has choosen many readers from this company and they are very good. This might be enough to satisfy his appetite. Maybe he could add narrations to go with it and you can "add a box" for additional independent reading. :)
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am

I don't think I would do a different history just because dc wanted to. I would, like you mentioned, make available lots of books on whatever subject was of interest---but not change my school plan.
deltagal wrote: I keep telling him he can check all the books he wants on American History out of the library to read at his leisure, but he doesn't want to spend his leisure time reading books. I'm in a quandry. I believe a great deal in following one's passion, but...
I agree on the passion thing, but if he isn't wanting to read about American History in his leisure time, I don't see that as a passion. :wink: I have one kiddo who has one "passion" after the other. He can go through times where all he talks about is "x". But he doesn't really want to pursue it in any other way but what he sees as fun for the moment. He gets his fill and then moves on. On the other hand, my oldest has a passion for animals. She has wanted to be a vet since as long as I can remember. She is volunteering at the local animal shelter as I type. She is doing RtR and studying astronomy. She does the assignments, but when she is done with school work, she goes right to her animal books or projects.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that if he really has developed a passion for Am His, then he can certainly pursue that. But if its not something he's wanting to do in addition to his school work, then it may just be a "the grass is greener" issue.
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 pm

My kids aren't there yet, but maybe you could select American History books for DITHOR? Surely you could find a lot of books to match up with the generas(sp?). So he could have an American History focus there and it wouldn't be "on his own time"? Just an possibility.
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Could you get a copy of the Drive Through American History DVDs? Those are interesting and educational and could easily be watched during one's leisure. I also agree with using American History books for DITHOR! There are so many great Biographies, Realistic/Historical fiction for American History. Let him check out DVDs from your local library, audiobooks, etc. If he is crafty, perhaps a lapbook or 2 for the time period he is most interested in. If he is truly passionate about this he will WANT to read/study during his "leisure", kwim? My nephew was once very passionate about the Civil War. He was consumed with it. He read, watched, played, etc. all during his leisure. It was an "obcession". For 2 years his Christmas gift wish list only included material on the Civil War. That is passion. Don't change your plan. This passion might be a passion, in which case it won't matter what curriculum you use b/c he will WANT to read all he can. And if it turns out to simply be an interest or curiosity in the subject, you won't have wasted time and money changing your plans. Does that makes sense? HTH.

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi all,

Thank you immensely for your responses. I've been out of the loop with the hurricane - no phone, no power, no water, but we're back in business now. Lots of good thoughts - everyone - and I appreciate immensely the encouragement to stay on our path. We finished CTC this a.m. and tomorrow we're going to crack open the RTR guide and do an overview. I'm letting him make some choices in some areas regarding Bible and Devotional Reading, but the remainder is as is. I love the idea of the DVD's, and I've shared with him that he can do any study he desires in American HIstory and it will go towards a credit in that area, but the priority this year is the Medieval and that has to be completed FIRST. I, too, think that once he gets going with RTR he will be enthralled. He has been suffering for the last year or so with the "how come I don't know about this" syndrome. Whenever he hears about an event in history - particularly American - which is new to him he gets very frustrated that he has missed out. Anyhow, I keep reminding him about that library card ; ) Meanwhile, he scores literally "off the charts" in history.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM