Week 1 PHFHG Questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Aubreygirl

Week 1 PHFHG Questions

Post by Aubreygirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:51 am

Hi!

We are completing week one of PHFHG! We are loving it so far! I do have a few questions though and thought someone out there could help me out. :)

1) Even if the guide doesn't say "Help your child complete one lesson from DITHOR" should we still do the reading for that day and if there is a worksheet that coincides with that day do it too even if it doesn't say to? For example: They are on day 2 of DITHOR and we are on the biography genre and there is a worksheet for day 2 as well as reading, but the PHFHG guide doesn't say do do a lesson, should I skip it?

2)Have any of you found half lined and half blank sheets for Draw and Write Through History? I ended up cutting down sketch paper to 8 1/2" x 11" and we are just going to add a sheet of notebook paper for the copywork.

Seems like there's more to ask, but at the moment I can't remember. You'll be seeing more of me. :shock:

Blessings,
Aubrey

gotpeace91

Re: Week 1 PHFHG Questions

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:54 am

We don't do DITHOR on days that it isn't scheduled in the guide. This means that we don't get through the whole DITHOR guide in a school year, but that's fine. I have pictures of what we do for Draw and write in the weekly review thread at this link. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10205 I print everything on cardstock, holepunch it, and put it in a binder. (using cardstock instead of copy paper is a tip I learned from Julie) Hope that helps a little.

edited to clarify a little :)
Last edited by gotpeace91 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 am

Leah, I really like the paper for the drawings. The border is really pretty and sets off the drawing nicely. I like the way too that the copywork is on one side and the drawing on the other. I think that is a nice arrangement in the binder.

Aubrey, we haven't started Preparing yet but we'll be starting soon. Like Leah, we won't do DITHOR on days when it isn't scheduled in the Preparing guide. It's set up this way to only do it 3 times a week to make the days even out time wise. If you want to get a notebook that has lined pages on the bottom and room for sketching on top, Miller Pads and Papers, http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/Pictu ... ks-419.htm, carries those. They even have just pads that you can use individual sheets: http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/Pictu ... d-4616.htm I think we'll probably do more what Leah does and use blank sheets for the drawings and regular lined paper for the copywork then place them in page protectors in a binder.

It's nice to hear that you are having a nice first week. I'm anxious to get started! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I can't speak about Phfhg because we haven't got there but I do know you can get blank top paper on amazon as well as several other sites. Donna Young even has some you can print on her site. Good luck!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 pm

gotpeace91 wrote:We don't do DITHOR on days that it isn't scheduled in the guide. This means that we don't get through the whole DITHOR guide in a school year, but that's fine. I have pictures of what we do for Draw and write in the weekly review thread at this link. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10205 I print everything on cardstock, holepunch it, and put it in a binder. (a tip I learned from Julie) Hope that helps a little.
Leah,

I am missing something....what exactly are you printing on card stock and hole punching for the binder? :mrgreen:
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks Patty :D , I searched for a long time for just the right frame that would dress it up a little but not distract from the drawing too much. I chose not to use the pages that are partly blank and partly lined so that she would have plenty of room to elaborate on her drawings if she wanted to. She has them in a binder with tabs that indicate drawing section and copywork section. It really seems to be working out well for her. I like page protectors too, but for some reason my son really had a hard time using those. So I use cardstock and hole punch them for the binder. I got this idea from Julie's blog(to use cardstock instead of copy paper) and I love it SO much! :D I printed out their Science lab sheets this way too.

edited to clarify a little bit. :)
Last edited by gotpeace91 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leah

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Here is the link for the Donna Young paper. You can pick the width you want and the orientation. I'm going to be using these with my son when we start.
Hope that helps!

http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/blank-top-paper.htm

Kristen
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi Katrina :D , I print out the little frame that I decided to use for my daughter's drawings from Draw & Write and the lined paper that she does the copywork from Draw & Write on. None of that is necessary or called for in the guide. It's just what I like to do. You could just use plain white paper for the drawings and plain lined paper for the copywork like the PHFHG guide says. :D Here's a link to the post on Julie's blog about cardstock. http://my3sons-julie.blogspot.com/2011/ ... rt-of.html I'm sorry my explanations are so confusing tonight my husband is rearranging rooms in the house tonight and it's pretty chaotic around here. :lol:
~Leah

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Thank-you Leah! Thanks for the link. I vaguely remember Julie posting about using cardstock and how well it was working for her and the boys. :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
2019-2020 plans
Jax DS17 HOD subjects: US1 Lit + US2 LL + IPC
Logan DS15 MtMM + extensions
Chloe DD13 MtMM
Levi DS10 PHFHG

Aubreygirl

Post by Aubreygirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 am

WOW! What great ideas! Thanks everyone! I just need a little more clarifications on something though...

Do the kids still read from their readers each day of the 15 days for that genre even if it doesn't say to complete a DITHOR lesson? I guess I'm not clear on if the the reading is part of that lesson or if we are just suppose to keep on track with the reading and not do the worksheet unless stated in the lesson to do so. :?:

Thanks for all the help!

Blessings,
Aubrey

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:56 am

Do the kids still read from their readers each day of the 15 days for that genre even if it doesn't say to complete a DITHOR lesson? I guess I'm not clear on if the the reading is part of that lesson or if we are just suppose to keep on track with the reading and not do the worksheet unless stated in the lesson to do so. :?:
I think the intention is not to read or do a lesson on the days that DITHOR isn't scheduled. The reading part is considered part of the lesson so if you had them read on non-DITHOR days they would finish the book earlier than the worksheets if you had the reading divided out to 15 days. If you feel your dc need to be reading everyday though, you could divide the book into more than 15 days and have them read on the non-DITHOR days too. I've considered doing this just so my dc are reading everyday, but I don't think it is necessary since they are reading other things as well, and they are at level now that I don't feel that they have to have reading instruction everyday. HTH! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Aubreygirl

Post by Aubreygirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 am

Thank you, Patty!