Hurricane Irene

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daph

Hurricane Irene

Post by Daph » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:17 am

Please pray for us East-coasters today! Especially for our law enforcement and emergency workers. This is going to be a crazy storm!
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

pjdobro

Re: Hurricane Irene

Post by pjdobro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:55 am

I will be praying. Are you evacuating? Stay safe. :)
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:57 pm

We're suppossed to get it up here in NH too. Keeping an eye on it and hoping it downgrades to a trop. storm before hitting here. Right now it's estimated anywhere between a trop. storm and level 2 when it hits us. I know the Carolinas and Jersey are going to get hit harder.

I'll be praying for all.

Where on the east coast are you?
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Daph wrote:Please pray for us East-coasters today! Especially for our law enforcement and emergency workers. This is going to be a crazy storm!
PRAYING!!!!!
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

solagratia824

Post by solagratia824 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Praying!!!
Camden

Homeschooling mama to...
ds 1st (Beyond)
dd preschool (LHTH)

Daph

Post by Daph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:43 am

holyhart wrote:We're suppossed to get it up here in NH too. Keeping an eye on it and hoping it downgrades to a trop. storm before hitting here. Right now it's estimated anywhere between a trop. storm and level 2 when it hits us. I know the Carolinas and Jersey are going to get hit harder.

I'll be praying for all.

Where on the east coast are you?
We're in NC, about twenty minutes from the coast. The storm didn't seem as bad as The Weather Channel made it out to be, but I was reading today that lives were lost.

We stayed and rode it out. I've lost count, but I think I've stayed through eight hurricanes.

Thank you for the prayers. I hope those who are north of us did ok.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:42 am

It saddens me to hear about those who lost lives, but that is why we must adhere to staying inside until you recieve the all clear. Flood surges and downed power lines are the real danger of a hurricane, from one Florida mom to all my east coast moms. Keep your family insdie do not go outside to inspect or just to watch the storm. Praying for the emergency staff who are on watch during this storm.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 am

Daph, I'm glad to hear from you today. I was hopeful that you weren't hit too hard over that way. I know many lost power and I thought you might have been one of those. Over here in the center of the state, we just had a cloudy, windy day. You would think that wouldn't be a big deal, but a neighbor of mine had a car totaled because a tree fell on it. I guess the tree was dead, which they didn't realize, and we had just enough wind to blow it over. Fortunately no one was hurt.

Kelly, I hope you are fine in New Hampshire. It seems that the Northeast might have had a more difficult time with the storm due to the already saturated ground. The flooding looks pretty bad up there.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

alydar

Post by alydar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Daph! We're also in NC about 20 minutes from the coast. :D :D

We faired pretty well. Lost power early Saturday morning but praise the Lord we got it back just as dark was settling in. I'm so sorry to hear about lives lost. I pray for those families and for all others affected by the storm.
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Daph

Post by Daph » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Patty, that's sweet of you to think of us. :) I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors' car! Ouch!

Whitney, no way! Are we in the same homeschool group too? LOL The world keeps getting smaller and smaller...
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.

alydar

Post by alydar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Daph, we aren't apart of any homeschool group. I never knew about any of that stuff when we decided to homeschool. :lol: So we've been flying solo from the start. I should probably get us involved in something like that - - might do us some good. :wink:
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Daph

Post by Daph » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't know where you are on the coast, but here's our local group, if you're interested: http://www.chewilm.com/Welcome.html :) We have holiday parties, support night meetings, co-ops... It's a really great support group!
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:46 am

My husband and I were missionaries in Kitty Hawk when we were first married. We live in western NC now but still have strong ties to the OBX. Our best friends faired okay ...losing a car and most of the contents of there brand new storage shed and all the insulation under the house. Water came within a foot of flooding the entire house. They have relatives and neighbors whose homes were flooded out. Many areas there were hit pretty hard. Still lots and lots of clean up and repairs to do and there were many who lost their homes.

We are leaving in less than 2 weeks to spend a week there helping out. I can't believe almost 18 years since we were missionaries there leading youth groups on mission trips that we will now take our family (including my eldest who is in the "youth group" now) on our first "Family Mission Trip" :D . We are also so very tickled that many of our local friends have decided to donate $ for supplies while we are there so the we will be able to do much more than we could have done on our own. I do wish they had been spared from any damage from Irene but since they were not I am thrilled the Lord has given us this opportunity to serve those we love so very much. Any HODers in the Northern OBX?
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing