Bigger hearts with 2

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GinainMD

Bigger hearts with 2

Post by GinainMD » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello everyone! I'm trying to get organized for this upcoming school year and I'd like to have a tentative schedule. So I'm curious how others have done this when teaching 2 at the same time. Also I think the Bigger guide says to expect school to take approximately 3.5 hours and I'm wondering how much time an additional student will add. My two oldest dc will be using Bigger as written with Rod and Staff English 3 and dictation. For math they will be using R & S 3. Thanks
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

6timeboymom

Re: Bigger hearts with 2

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I did bigger last year with my "middle two" and used the extensions for the older of the two. (they were 10 and 11 then) We did all the stuff together that we could, and then the older one worked on his extension readings, etc independently while I worked with the younger one. The one using the extensions took about 30 minutes more a day (unless he was whining :lol:) I would think with two doing all the same work it wouldn't add very much at all to your day. :)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:22 am

I'm doing Bigger with 2 this year. I thought it would take me longer as a result. Plus we do a different Math and Spelling program. My ds is doing R & S English 3 and dd is doing R & S English 2. This is our eighth day to do Bigger and really it's not taking me as much time as I've planned for. I'd say it's right about 3 1/2 hours. Oh, the other thing, I thought it would take some time to whittle it down to the suggested times and it really hasn't. My dd is slower than my ds since she's younger. For example the science notebooking page said to draw, label, and write about one or more animals on the seashore and one from the tide. Ds got 2 animals each from the seashore and tide whereas dd only got one for each done. She's two years younger and just writes slower. KWIM? Hope this is an encouragment.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:29 am

Thanks ladies! This was just what I needed to hear. We can't wait to get started.
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

LAB

Post by LAB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm coming in a little late, but my girls are the same ages as yours and doing Bigger together. We do everything together but dictation and personal reading. I chose to do the English together and have them answer every other question. For narration I chose one and then have the other expand on what they remember. We get through things quite quickly unless we are drawing in science. That takes forever! We are in unit 6 and its gone very well. When we need to the girls share a book between them.
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)