Book substitution? Is this book ok to use??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jessi

Book substitution? Is this book ok to use??

Post by Jessi » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm trying to avoid having to buy new books and I don't like borrowing from the library if I can help it because I don't like to feel rushed to return a book.

At a garage sale I found "A Lion to Guard Us" and "The Sword in the Tree." $.50 each!!!!

After looking at the books, I think we will read A Lion to Guard Us for storytime for adventure which is next. Mainly because it has more chapters than we can fit easily into DITHOR. Now The Sword in the Tree has 14 Chapters which could easily fill her required reading time for DITHOR with it.

My daughter is in 2nd grade doing Beyond and is starting DITHOR. She is a very strong reader. Do you think The Sword in the Tree would be a good for her to read? It isn't listed in the Sample Book ideas but I assumed that was because it was in the storytime pack.

Opinions?
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

pjdobro

Re: Book substitution? Is this book ok to use??

Post by pjdobro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Congratulations on your great finds! I had both A Lion to Guard Us and The Sword in the Tree while we were doing Beyond and allowed my dc to choose which to read for our adventure storytime. They chose A Lion to Guard Us so we used that one for our storytime during Beyond and loved it. So I still had The Sword in the Tree on the shelf unread. My ds read it this year for DITHOR and loved it! It is listed at a reading level of 3.2 so that worked out well for him. So if your dd can read at least at a third grade level, I think it could work out well. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:07 am

My ds read A Sword in the Tree this Summer, but not for DITHR just for fun. He loved it! I think it would be very similar to the level 2-3 book packs.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks!! Phew. I'm glad to know they will work. She is at least a solid end of third grade level reader or beginning 4th grade.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site