Beyond: Adding to LA

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
NicoleJ

Beyond: Adding to LA

Post by NicoleJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 am

Hi,
To those of you who have used Beyond... did you add anything to the LA? If so, what did you add? I am *thinking* about adding the Reading Made Easy workbooks to go along with RME, and possibly a creative writing program as my moderator requires a lot more than copywork (and copywork drives my kids bananas). Did you add? Or was it enough? My DD will be 6, able to copy sentences and happy to write her own short stories (although you can't decipher much of them!).

Kims

Re: Beyond: Adding to LA

Post by Kims » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 am

We are using the Explode the Code books. My son seems to like workbooks and I Love ETC so we are using those too.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 am

We do the copywork from the poetry out of the TM but we use Language Smarts for grammar and other LA skills. It is workbook format and my daughter loves it and so do I. It requires almost no prep, short lessons, and is excellent. We have a handwriting book but so far my daughter's handwriting is pretty good so I'm not using it yet. I found that the topics in the TM for LA we'd already covered last year more in depth in Language Smarts so we just stuck with the next book in the series.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

NicoleJ

Post by NicoleJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. The Language Smarts books look quite good! I think also that if you got the workbooks to go with Reading made Easy, they could take the place of ETC, as they are quite similar in some ways.