LHFHG - what do I do if DD(young)5 can read?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heidi in AK

LHFHG - what do I do if DD(young)5 can read?

Post by Heidi in AK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 am

Soooo...we are about to embark on our HS career with HOD's LHFHG. DD has been sneaking reading books in her room for weeks. I'll catch her in the morning with multiple books around her. I had her read two short stories today, and she got every word right except for "enough." Her pace was even swift enough. Well, I'd guess so! Her comprehension is great too, and we can work on narration. LOL! We've got lots of time!

I see no need to change programs; in fact, I'm leaning toward still doing LHFHG half-speed with her. However, should I still do The Reading Lesson? I haven't yet bought it, because back eight months ago when I bought my stuff, I bought it for K, but wasn't ready to make a decision on our phonics curriculum. I just can't see moving her into the Beyond emerging readers, especially since they look like they tie into those lessons.

How would we do it? I'm wondering if I can get away with the CD-ROM of the student exercises?
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

Kims

Re: LHFHG - what do I do if DD(young)5 can read?

Post by Kims » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 am

I would do the emerging readers.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:58 am

My daughter is doing The Reading Lesson at the moment. I would recommend the emerging readers, as long as she has a strong foundation in phonics versus just sight word reading.
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 am

The Emerging Readers do not tie into lessons, BUT I don't think I would do it now if you are going half speed with LHFHG. I would wait until the child is in the age range of Beyond to do them.

My #3 is going to be 5 in October. We are holding her off and finishing up LHTH SLOWLY and doing other random things until then to start LHFHG (mainly because I want my #2 to not be doing LHFHG at the same time, two places in one guide would be confusing to me) She can already read, though not quite to the level your dd can yet, but she likely will be by the time she gets to the end of the year. I'm just getting readers for her to read right now and letting her tell me about them.

The other thing you could do would be to get the Beyond guide and do the ERs, but also do the supplemental titles and make your own questions using the examples given.

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:09 am

You could try her out with one of the first Emerging Readers and see how she does. If you don't own any of them, your library probably does. The ERs don't connect in any way with the Beyond program. They just happened to be scheduled with that guide, but can be used with Little Hearts or Bigger if necessary. I would recommend having the Beyond manual on hand if you decide to use the ERs, so that your daughter could benefit from the comprehension questions and narration skills that correspond with each reader.

I believe The Reading Lesson ends with your child at a Grade 2 reading level and the ERs begin at a Grade 2 level. That may help you in determining what your daughter is capable of. HTH.
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 am

Yes, Jess, this helps. There are so many ways DD is not ready for Beyond, so I think I'll do TRL and find an appropriate place to start.
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Good, Heidi. Oh, and congrats on your 5 year old reading. It is such a joy!
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm

My DD is 5(will be 6 in Feb.) and she can read 2nd grade level books rather fluently, has great comprehension, etc. BUT she can read mostly by sight. So, we'll be doing LHFHG with Abeka's 1st grade phonics(she is completing the K5 now) just to solidify that to help her.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:13 pm

I would go ahead and do a phonics program if she is reading by sight. You can let her continue to read what interests her on the side, and head into the ER whenever you feel she is ready.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th