First time posting, first time using HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julieabird

First time posting, first time using HOD

Post by julieabird » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first of many posts (I hope!) I decided to go with HOD for several reasons. I like the Charlotte Mason philisophy on schooling children, this program was suggested by a trusted friend, it has glowing reviews and finally because I think I will be able to follow it.

This will be my second year homeschooling. Last year I did K and PreK with my two children. I did not follow my curriculums very well and I would say it was a bit of a flop. Handwriting went OK - my 4 year old daughter learned how to print upper and lower case and copied sentences fairly well. My 6 year old son learned cursive and copied sentences very well. I would say I pushed them too hard in writing and I know that is not wise for many reasons down the road.... Reading also went well - I used Abeka with my daughter and she got up to reading simple words with long vowel sounds. My son was on the 3rd reading book of Abeka1 readers when we finished. Reading was the best 'subject' because we timed it and I didn't pressure them. We also did Math-U-See - primer with my daughter and Alpha with my son- that didn't go quite as well because I lingered too long after they learned a concept and didn't move through in a timely manner. I just kind of did my own thing and that didn't work like I thought it would - so I am ready to have the accountability that goes with FOLLOWING the program.

Just to give a brief history of why we are homeschooling - it was my idea after meeting several women who homeschooled and my desire to keep my children home with me so I could continue to be the predominant influence in their lives. I am in Christ but struggle with consistency in terms of my relationship with Him. My husband was 100% AGAINST homeschooling when I first brought it up. He told me that although he was not complaining, I had a hard enough time keeping our home 'together' and such. Well, I took that as a challenge and worked for months on keeping up with homemaking. I have a hard time keeping stuff put away. I get it out and don't put it up! Anyway - I'm happy to say that the house started staying tidy and I continued to desire to homeschool and it just so happened that because of my husband working out of town when school started last year that we decided to homeschool so we could all be together. He doesn't see everything I see in terms of my failures. He just sees our daughter reading and writing and our son reading independently. He is satisfied but I was not, so I started researching curriculum and here I am!

I decided on LHFHG for my daughter and Beyond for my son. I could have done LHFHG with both of them, but I decided they each need their own thing. They are together all the time and I wanted to work with each of them alone, right where they place in terms of the charts.

I'm hoping to start at 8:30am and finish with both by lunch time so we can have time for fun and chores in the afternoons.

I don't have any questions right now - but I have not received my shipment yet. :-) I am looking forward to getting to know some of you and learning from you and your experiences with the program.
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

Jessi

Re: First time posting, first time using HOD

Post by Jessi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Hello! Welcome to HOD! I am using Beyond for my daughter this year and we just completed the first week. So far so good. :D I hope you'll find this year to be a such a blessing to your family.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Kims

Post by Kims » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:00 pm

You know I read this earlier and thought how hard you are being on yourself. It sounds like you did an amazing job homeschooling last year and if your dh doesn't have any complaints then you should not worry about it.
You will love HOD.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:03 pm

I think it sounds like you did a fine job. They are reading and writing! My little girls are doing LHFHG this year. Enjoy.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Welcome to HOD and the boards!! I think
you will love how Christ-centered and thorough and "warm" HOD is!!
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

julieabird

Post by julieabird » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I can't wait to receive our shipment and begin looking at the material. I will be back with questions as they come up. I love searching older threads and reading about everyone's schedules and such! :D I am excited about the change. I already feel less pressure.
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Kims wrote:You know I read this earlier and thought how hard you are being on yourself. It sounds like you did an amazing job homeschooling last year and if your dh doesn't have any complaints then you should not worry about it.
You will love HOD.
I agree with Kim! :D Sounds like you had a great year. Where reluctant husbands are concerned, it's always a good idea to be upbeat and positive about the homeschooling experience. Otherwise they go into fix-it mode and start to suggest other schooling options. (public school etc.) I think you're doing a great job. Keep it up! :D
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

HollyS

Post by HollyS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:27 am

We've been homeschooling all along and my oldest will be in 4th grade. It's been a constant struggle to find a balance of HSing, housework, cooking, and outside activities. From what I've discussed with other HSers (and PS moms too) it's just difficult being a mom. :lol: My focus last year was on consistently getting school finished...HOD was a huge help with that! This year it's going to be consistently getting chores and laundry done (without letting school slide). It's definitely a challenge to HS, but one that I've found to be very rewarding.

Blessings on your HS journey!
Holly, mom to 4
DD 10 and DS 7 -- Bigger
DD 5 -- LHTH
DD 2

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Just wanted to say welcome!Image

I'm sure you'll love HOD, and love the ladies on board here. They are such a God-loving, encouraging, and wise group! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Welcome to the HOD board, julieabird! :D I think you are going to love HOD, and this board as well! I am looking forward to getting to know you more here. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Welcome to the boards!
Your going to have a fun year!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Welcome, Julie! You'll have a great year!!!
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com