Which Genre are these books?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

Which Genre are these books?

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am

I'm trying to figure out where these books would fit genre-wise to get a complete reading course together:

Twice Freed
Cat of Bubastes (I know it is audio but it has to fit somewhere right?)
Within the Palace Gates

These are the extension books for CTC. Also anyone have a suggestion for a Non Fiction girl-interested other than the ones offered? We've already read those and if I look at one more list I think I'll just drive myself nuts!

Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Tansy

Re: Which Genre are these books?

Post by Tansy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm

1shortmomof4 wrote:
Twice Freed
Cat of Bubastes (I know it is audio but it has to fit somewhere right?)
Within the Palace Gates

Heidi
Twice freed Historical Fiction would be my guess
Cat of Bubastes is listed at epub as Historical Fiction
Within the Palace Gates is also listed as Historical Fiction.

what if you just took her to the non fiction section of the library and let her pick a topic she wants to learn about? That's what I do when I get stuck for a book...
Give it a good skim before checking it out tho.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 pm

I thought Dragons of the Deep was a great book. (Would your daughter like reading about sea creatures/dinosaurs - Answers in Genesis type apologetics? My son was totally intrigued and I enjoyed it.) This year he's reading Riders of the Pony Express. We haven't done it yet, but I love Pony Express stories. (Of course we live on "Pony Express Highway" and have visited the station in town. :wink: But their stories are pretty interesting.) Those are the boy-interest options for the 4/5 and 5/6 level, but maybe they'd work?

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Historical fiction - okay. Now to find a few more options for Biography and non-fiction - actually Biography is pretty easy because my dd loves reading about missionaries so there are plenty to work with in that department. Non-fiction - hmmmmm.......will have to look at the other programs and their lists. I've got the whole series from the Mystery of the Silver Coins so I'm going to plug in one of those books which will cover Mystery. Thanks and you think of anything else - let me know!
Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Another great historical fiction book that would be a great girls interest ( I love this book) is A Gathering of Days by Joan W.Blos. Takes place in early colonial times in NH and is written in diary form. Moving story. Has a little mystery in it so it could possibly pass for that genre as well. Or Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell (based partly on a true story, if your daughter is sensitive though, it might not be a good choice. Takes place during the American Revolution and the girls father is tar and feathered and dies from his injuries leaving the 15 year old daughter alone to fend for herself...the rest of the book is very good).

Non-fiction girl interest could be Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Takes place in Germany occupied Denway (if I rememer correctly) and from the perspective of a young girl. Or The Landing of the Pilgrims by James Daugherty. Not sure if that would be specifically "girl-interest", but a very good book none the less.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

off2workigo

Post by off2workigo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Do you have the $5 book list Carrie sells on the Drawn into the Heart of Reading page? There are a TON of book suggestions in there.

-Rebecca