New to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom2Monkeys

Re: New to HOD

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am

my3sons wrote: P.S. You can do the math placement for Singapore at:
http://www.singapore.com
Just click the "placement" tab at the top of the link. :D

www.singaporemath.com :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Mom2Monkeys wrote:
my3sons wrote: P.S. You can do the math placement for Singapore at:
http://www.singapore.com
Just click the "placement" tab at the top of the link. :D

http://www.singaporemath.com :D
Thanks, Tamara! I'm typing too fast here - I changed it! :)
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:36 pm

Wow! So in depth on your answers Julie. Thank you for taking this time to help me. Couple of questions: My oldest is sort of a reluctant reader. He likes stuff with lots of graphics and that interests him more. Are there any graphic novels that would be appropriate for his age. Although he is 9, he is just going into 3rd. I don 't want to struggle making him read, as we need the least amount of agrumentation possible!!!! :)Also, what about teaching typing skills?

Thanks!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:37 pm

What about science for my oldest son this year? If I am doing the right side of Bigger, doesn't that include science too? I am considering doing Contenders of the Faith for my oldest son as well. Would this be considered science? Or should I consider buying the science books that correlate with Bigger?

Seems the only thing they will be sharing is the History and Bible time section, correct? I guess that cuts down on a little time, and brings them together for that. Now what about the storytime section? Will those have to be two sets of different books too? Or can I combine that too and just use the Beyond Boy's Interest books for that? That would cut down on my read-aloud time and incorporate more. But what about the spelling for my older one? How would I up that?

Thanks! Starting to wonder if it is easier to just do both separately now! So much planning and overlapping and tweaking. Not sure how beneficial, yet if we can combine the History, Bible and story-time, that would be good I think.

Tina
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:42 pm

tnahid wrote:Wow! So in depth on your answers Julie. Thank you for taking this time to help me. Couple of questions: My oldest is sort of a reluctant reader. He likes stuff with lots of graphics and that interests him more. Are there any graphic novels that would be appropriate for his age. Although he is 9, he is just going into 3rd. I don 't want to struggle making him read, as we need the least amount of agrumentation possible!!!! :)Also, what about teaching typing skills?

Thanks!
Glad to help! Thanks for sharing more about your ds here. Since he is just starting DITHOR, I think I'd get Book Pack Level 2, which has reading levels of 3.0 - 4.1. These books will be shorter and have him reading around a handful of pages each day, which is a nice way to begin DITHOR. Or, you can certainly choose your own books, though that takes more doing, it is a very nice option if you'd enjoy doing that. :D HOD has dc begin researching skills using their computer (or an encyclopedia instead if you so choose) in PHFHG. Typing for the purpose of instruction will not be introduced until later. I'm in agreement with this, as I had to try to teach typing skills to elementary aged dc and found it difficult to do. On the other hand, I learned typing in 1 semester when I was older, picked it up quickly, and am a good typist today. However, there are many typing programs available should you choose to want to do so. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:53 pm

tnahid wrote:What about science for my oldest son this year? If I am doing the right side of Bigger, doesn't that include science too? I am considering doing Contenders of the Faith for my oldest son as well. Would this be considered science? Or should I consider buying the science books that correlate with Bigger?

Seems the only thing they will be sharing is the History and Bible time section, correct? I guess that cuts down on a little time, and brings them together for that. Now what about the storytime section? Will those have to be two sets of different books too? Or can I combine that too and just use the Beyond Boy's Interest books for that? That would cut down on my read-aloud time and incorporate more. But what about the spelling for my older one? How would I up that?

Thanks! Starting to wonder if it is easier to just do both separately now! So much planning and overlapping and tweaking. Not sure how beneficial, yet if we can combine the History, Bible and story-time, that would be good I think.

Tina
For Science for your older ds, I'd be inclined to just do the science in Beyond, and possibly add 1 research element to it each week. He could read other books or research online on the science theme for the week, and orally narrate his findings to you, or write them in a simple paragraph if the additional writing wouldn't be difficult. The science does pair so nicely with the core guide, as it links to the history. After Beyond, Bigger Hearts does have an extension for science (as well as history), that you could consider doing the following year. One other idea I had to extend science is to have your ds keep a nature journal. He could choose a topic correlating with his science topic of the week, and draw, label, diagram something. If you have access to the outdoors, he could base it on something outdoors otherwise too. With this being his first year with HOD, it being a year to continue strengthening his reading skills, and you having several dc to homeschool, I think this would be a wonderful way to begin - but you will know best!

So, in this combining scenario, you're 2 dc would be combined for all of these things: Reading about History, Geography, Poetry and Rhymes, Bible Study, Corresponding Music, Science Exploration, History Activity, Storytime, and Artistic Expression. They would be separate on their Language Arts, Reading Choices, and Math Exploration. A note about Storytime - I think I'd just do the one from Beyond as it will teach how to orally narrate. These lessons are wonderful, and they teach dc how to narrate well. Unless your 9 yo already narrates fairly well, I'd do the Beyond Storytime with the 2 of them, as this skill is oh so important, and nothing gives a better start to learning it properly than Beyond (IMO :wink: ). HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie