What grade do you consider your 12 year old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Re: What grade do you consider your 12 year old?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 am

We have two different grade levels going on in my house for each child. My oldest currently is 8.5 and finishing up 3rd grade work, but she's technically a 3rd grader. second is going to be 7 in January just starting 2nd grade work, technically middle of 1st grade year, and my third just turned 5, technically won't start K until next year, but doing K work now. For their technical grade level we just go by what they would be in if they were in public school. Cut off here is Sept 1st.

So I have no idea what grade level WORK they'll be doing at 12, but their technical grade will be 6th... DD1 and DD4 will turn 12 at the end of 6th, DD2 in the middle, and DD3 at the beginning.

davisfam7

Post by davisfam7 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:25 pm

My 15yo son is a May birthday and did not start school until he was 6, we were not homeschooling at this time. He was academically ready to start at 5, but he was VERY impulsive and needed a year for maturity. My 13yo daughter is a June birthday and she started at 5 because she was way ready to go. Age wise she would be in 8th grade this year if she were in school but she works on a 10th-11th grade level. If I decide to graduate her early, she will probably just study and CLEP college credit until she is 18, and maybe take some dual enrollment classes. I don't want her in a heavy college setting at 16 or 17 years old. My next son is Nov. so that made it easy :wink:, he is 11 and in 5th grade. My youngest is a 9yo son who is in 3rd grade this year. He has a late July birthday so I did not start formal school with him until he was 6. He was alot like my 15 yo son, lots of energy and no impulse check :D . My older ones spent a few years in PS but my younger two sons have never gone.
Sarah
wife to Bobby
Taylor 22 helping @ home
Ryan 18 World History
Olivia 16 World History
Alec 13 MtMM
Jack-Attack 1 CtC
Have done Bigger, Preparing, RtR, Rev to Rev, MtMM, World Geo.

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I had a 6 foot tall 12yo as a 7th grader. He had a July birthday and we started K when he turned 5. I am glad we did or we'd have an extremely tall 6th grader... I am glad we started him when we did. My other kids will also be 12 and 7th graders.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography