CTC research - any suggestions?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jhperry

CTC research - any suggestions?

Post by jhperry » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am

We used Wikipedia this past year with Preparing and though it did the job and was free, I would like to try something different with CTC. I've looked at Britannica for Kids Online but its about $70/year. Considering the time period, I was wondering if a Bible reference-type book would work? Any suggestion on what you've used and has worked well would be greatly appreciated!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

amysconfections

Re: CTC research - any suggestions?

Post by amysconfections » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I just downloaded Wikipanion on my ipad. I like it better than using Wikipedia's site. I haven't used if for CTC yet.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 am

The Usborne internet linked encyclopedias are AWESOME!! We used the One titled Ancient World for q few of our projects, including the Roman coins project in Preparing. There is an Ancient Egypt one as well. you can look them up online.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm

julsoliveira wrote:The Usborne internet linked encyclopedias are AWESOME!! We used the One titled Ancient World for q few of our projects, including the Roman coins project in Preparing. There is an Ancient Egypt one as well. you can look them up online.
I was just looking at this online and noticed that you can access the internet links without having a book-do you find the book benificial? They do look neat...
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Those books are beautifully illustrated in FULL BLEED ! Photos, illustrations, diagrams, archaeology notes. The links are a nice bonus, but The books are best part.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 pm

Okay, thank you!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for your tips ladies! I wanted to post that I had found Sweet Search, a search engine just for students, that I think we will try out for next year. You can check it out here: (link removed by board moderator per board rules)

I also found the Websters 1828 dictionary online here: (link removed per board rules by board moderator) and a children's dictionary online here: (link removed per board rules by board moderator)
Jamie

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm

We just finished CTC and we used a variety of resources which we had available to us. I'm not sure from your post if you are looking for a different web search or a reference book. We own the Victor Journey Through the Bible book, though it did not have info for all units. We also used the History Encyclopedia as well as a couple of student Bible Atlases we have on our shelf. When all else failed we did use Wikipedia though I did not want to rely on this source alone for every unit. I seem to remember that someone else had mentioned the Baker Bible Handbook for Kids as a possible reference tool. Hope this helps.
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:37 pm

So sorry about the links...didn't realize they were against the rules!!

SouthernMrs, thank you for your response. I'll check into the Victor book and would love to hear from anyone that used the Baker Handbook for Kids. I'm open to any other books or web information that would be helpful in the CTC research. I'm just looking for something easy-to-use, age-appropriate, and accurate :) .
Jamie