Nature study question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

Nature study question

Post by twolittlebears » Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 pm

I am new to HOD and plan to use BLHFHG this next year. I love CM and I have the Handbook of Nature Study and I'm wondering if anyone has incorporated this book into HOD or if it is used in the later guides at all? Or is nature study already incorporated with the One Small Square books? Right now we go on nature walks a few times a week and keep a nature journal. I'm just wondering if this is an area that I will need to continue on my own or if it's covered within the guides. :D Thank you!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Heather4Him

Re: Nature study question

Post by Heather4Him » Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Nature study is covering in MTMM, but I'm not sure about the young guides, because we started in CTC.
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 am

In Bigger Hearts and the One Small Square books there is nature study, but it doesn't necessarily involve actually going outside and looking at nature. In the One Small Square books are many suggestions for how you can interact with the nature in that habitat, which we have done for the "Woods" one because we live close to woods, but for example in the "Seashore" one we couldn't really do that so we just did the reading and the experiments in the guide. The notebooking we do is based on the reading and experiments, not on our own nature walks and things. I would say what you are doing sounds like "extra" for this level, but I think it comes in more as the kids get older.

Beyond science is very light, reading about creation and simple activities and experiments that are hands-on and teach simple concepts.

I found some great reference cards for insects and birds so we could learn more about the creatures we see around us. As you probably already know, all of life is learning and the more you can get outside and interact with God's creation the more your kids will learn! One nice thing about HOD is that school days are pretty short for the younger guides and it gives you the time to pursue life learning experiences which are probably the best lessons of all!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm

We also love the nature study aspect of Charlotte Mason, mainly because we are in awe of God's Creation! :D We have found a love of God's creation is part of each HOD guide. :) In Beyond, our dc learned about what God made during each of the days of creation using "God's Wonderful Works." The creation of the physical world, energy, plants, heavenly bodies, animals, and human beings are studied throughout the year, and twice each week, science experiments link directly to these living book science readings. Many of the poems read and studied each week are based on nature as well. :D We are an outdoor loving family, and we found many links naturally to what we read for our science in Beyond Little Hearts. :D :D :D

Moving on to Bigger Hearts, the science is chock full of living books that encourage nature study. :D The "One Small Square" books connect well with nature walks and just being in your backyard. :D If you read "John Audubon" and don't come out being bird lovers, I'd be shocked! :lol: From the times our older sons did BHFHG years back, we still have bird feeders hanging from trees around our house, and we still hear squeals of delight when new birds or unusual birds come to the feeders! "Guys, you HAVE to come see this! There is a downy woodpecker at the feeder!" Or, "Check out the bluejays. Man, they are like drill sergeants marching every other bird out of there!" Or, "Oh, the common grackels are back in town - look out!" :lol: Simply hanging a bird feeder with seed outside a window you can look out is a wonderful way to bring nature "inside the home" on those days you can't get outdoors. :wink: Likewise, the "Pioneer Sampler" had our boys experimenting with this or that outdoors and indoors alike - that book just naturally links to the outdoors and using practical solutions to solve life's little problems. "Thomas Edison" is sure to bring out the inventor in your dc, outdoors and indoors, this is an asset. All of these neat science books are linked to 2 science experiments each week. We found the science notebooking in Bigger Hearts to be very nature-journal-like. :D

I could go on to Preparing Hearts for His Glory on up, but I just wanted to share from one nature loving outdoor loving Charlotte Mason loving family to another - HOD really does a super job of incorporating this in a doable way that is memorable! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie