Tomboy or Trouble?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Tomboy or Trouble?

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon May 13, 2013 4:44 pm

My daughter (soon to be 11) wishes she "were a boy".

We have been over and over how God has created her to be ...blah blah blah... :)

She is a tomboy. But I am starting to worry that she is never going to change.

She wants boy PJs...she detests dresses. I only get her knit ones that can be worn with leggings. She throws a hissy fit otherwise.

Shew plays with legos. She has never touched a doll.

When I tell her she will be a wife and mother someday. she says, "But that's not what I want..."

Somebody please tell me she will grow out of this!!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

mommyofmany

Re: Tomboy or Trouble?

Post by mommyofmany » Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm

It might be worth talking with her pediatrician about (privately). It could be that her interests are more geared toward "boy" type things and she feels more comfortable in those types of clothes or something more than that. Your doctor may be able to refer you to someone she could talk to about her feelings to determine if she's having gender identity issues. I never felt that comfortable in girly clothes when I was young and was always more of a "tomboy". Now that I'm grown, though, I love to wear skirts and dresses!! Maybe she'll change as she goes through puberty. Hang in there mama!! <3
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Joyful3

Post by Joyful3 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:27 am

My DD is 12 and sounds similar. I hope I can offer something helpful from our experiences.

First and foremost, a reminder to pray (because I need it myself!): that God would help her to embrace and love being a girl and to become the woman He has made her to be.

We've done some backdoor approaches, because I have felt like it just makes things worse to approach it directly. I've had to sometimes talk with my DD that she is just as much a girl as anyone else even if she doesn't enjoy dolls or dresses or the color pink; that that is not what makes one a girl. She can be feminine in other ways!

-Even if it's Legos, point out her feminine qualities (without calling them that) while she is playing. Praise her creativity, any glimpses of nurturing, and her unique talents in her play.

-Part of my daughter's insecurity with being a girl seemed to stem from living in the shadow of her older brother and boy neighbors. When we found some nice girls for her to spend time with, it really helped.

-Look for or start a tween Bible study with other girls, enlisting help from other moms if needed. There are some really good books you can work through together, and then do crafts, have a mom come in who is good with hair, cook together, put on a play, write stories, have a book club when you are done, etc.

-I saw some changes in her attitude when we talked about puberty together. We used the American Girl book The Care and Keeping of Your Body because in spite of her distaste for dolls, she likes AG since they are more like "friends." There may be better books with a more Christian tone you would rather use. BUT, sharing about growing up made her excited instead of scared and gave her mom as a confidant.

-My DD does not want to be a wife or mom right now, either. We don't push this subject but if it does come up from time to time, I simply ask her to be open to what God may have for her and then drop it. When hormones fully kick in, I may have a totally different battle in a few years!! Instead my desire is to model a godly marriage before her and help her learn how to manage a household...even if it is just her own, she will need that skill.

-The dresses: take her shopping for nice clothes she likes. My DD has sensory processing disorder and I have come to realize she does not like dresses because they are often uncomfortable. We've found she likes skirts, and she appreciates long ones because they are more modest. We are ok with having her wear slacks to church so long as she looks nice. Comfortable clothes was a key for her, so we go with that. We also had a "tip" on a store from a young Sunday School teacher she admires.

I hope something here helps. Your DD is still young so I do think there is a chance she will outgrow some of it, or perhaps another way to look at it is that she will grow into who God has made her to be with some loving support from you. :D
Leah
DS 14, 9th grade, public school
DD 12, 7th grade, RTR
DS6, 1st grade, public school

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am

I was very tomboy when I was young, playing in mudholes with dinosaurs. Even on up to around age 19. I didn't own any dresses. Now I will wear them once in a while, especially long skirts in summer because they are cooler and more comfy than jeans and still keep the mosquitos away. Haha.

If it is possible, she might like horseback riding lessons. Nothing is better for the inside of a young woman than learning to care for a horse. I think it kept me out of trouble and I never worried about fashion or boys. Then as I got older I was able to focus more on who I am rather than trying to fit in with how other girls thought I should be. I am more balanced now as an adult and I like to cook and I clean and am a good mommy (and still am compassionate towards animals).

To ME, your daughter sounds normal. An outdoor hobby that nurtures her would be great, rather than trying to make her feel weird about being "tomboy". Lots of girls play softball and basketball... but that might be more "boyish", what about horses or swim team or... hmm well anything that is more neutral? What sorta thing might she like?
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Joyful 3 gave some great advice. I wouldn't worry about what you have described. Most likely she wants to wear what feels the most comfortable. Maybe she even likes boy pjs because they cover more than girls and feel more modest or softer, etc. Being all frilly and pink does not make you a nice woman. It's your heart that makes you modes and feminine.

One thing I would suggest is not allowing her to say that she wants to be a boy. She is speaking in rebellion to who God made her to be. I also would not talk much about her being a wife and mom someday right now. Maybe that scares her to think of being with someone and having a baby.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 am

Joyful3 and amyconfections posts gave great advice.
One thing to consider is if you could get a couple of positive role models. One older and one younger. If their is someone around who is feminine, but yet full of fun and adventure for her spend some time with that would help a lot. Especially if the 'older' woman was a tomboy growing up. It helped my mom.
The other thing is to see if there is something feminine that could be combined with something she enjoys. For example, with my daughter who was displaying 'tomboy' tendacies I combined a tea party with adventurous themes. Someone gave me a book on how to make a mother/daughter tea party that didn't have to be elegant, and included a Bible Study time. My daughter is still very young, but now she is a delightful combination of tomboy and feminine girl.
Hopes this makes sense. The most effective means I have seen of 'turning a tomboy around' is not by words so much, but by immersion in prayer, actions, and being appreciated for who they are even though they are not ultra girlish. As long as they are not masculine and are content with how God made them, it is fine to be adventurous. (i.e. love the outdoors, not play babysitter, etc) The biggest thing to be concerned with right now, is teaching her to be content to be the girl God wants her to be.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 am

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful replies. My brother is a physician. He says it is different when a girl says, "I wish I was a boy" and "I feel like I AM a boy". As lng as she is not saying the latter, he says don't sweat it. : )
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)