Looking for idea for home ec. course

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
igeagewalker

Looking for idea for home ec. course

Post by igeagewalker » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Today I was thinking about all the scholarly things my daughters have been doing since way young. And they do good. But I must admit, I have put school before household chores more than once. I am thinking as she get closer and closer to leaving for college, she needs to have some basic skills. So....I am looking for some ideas of what I should include in this self-created type of course -I probably wont even put it on her transcript. But if I could come of with a list/ideas of what she needs to know as a college person, and then what she needs to run a household. Finally, I am looking for a good book about marriage-what to expect in marriage and how to be a godly woman in marraige.

Alot to ask, I know. But if you have even one idea, I would LOVE it!

Thanks so much!!

pam
Pam , Married to my best friend for 17 years
DD 16 homescholing
DD 13 REV. to REV.
DS Twins 11 CTC
2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 ferret, 1 horse

snadig

Re: Looking for idea for home ec. course

Post by snadig » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Pam,

I have read a few books by Elizabeth George on many of the things you are thinking about, and I also try to pray for those things. I also have my older kids doing their own laundry, cleaning their own bathrooms, and cooking at home and at church. Now I need to start getting them trained in the shopping and meal planning and budgeting. I am not very good at budgeting. :?

Hope this helps.
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:30 pm

The Pearables books are quite helpful. They have books for older ones and books for younger ones on character training, responsibility, and the gentle quiet arts (homemaking). My children like these.
I actually have a longer list. I sent you a private message. You can check them out if you like.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

snadig

Post by snadig » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 pm

TrueGrit,

The Pearable books sound good. Who is the author?
Thanks!
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

laughablemoments

Post by laughablemoments » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

You might like to take a look at Christian Light's Home Ec. course. There are 2 levels. Here is the first one: (Link removed by board moderator per board rules). It's pretty reasonably priced and quite thorough. I know a young lady who went through it and has saved all of the books to be able to refer back to them at a later date because the info was useful and pertinent.
DD(13)- Res to Ref w/ ext.
DD(11)- Preparing w/ ext.
DD(9)- Preparing
DS(7.5)- Beyond
DD(6) -LHFHG
DD(3) -LHTH
DD (1.5) having fun with everyone : )

joyfulhomeschooler

Post by joyfulhomeschooler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Have you looked at Polished Cornerstones? It's published by Doorposts. I am looking at it right now for my daughter (who is much younger). In the book it has a beginner, intermediate, and advanced area. I think your daughter would do really well age wise in the advanced level activities. So far I am loving what I see of it and plan on doing it with my daughter for at least two years. One at the younger end and then again when she is older. Sorry, rambling.. :) But I think it fits what you are asking.
DS 11 CTC
DD 9 CTC
DS 4 Before Five in a Row
DS 2 Before Five in a Row (tag along)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 am

Pearables is also the name of the publisher. The author is not listed on the outside. In a small paragraph I found that her name is Anne White.
I found mine just by typing Pearables.
A friend has Polished Cornerstones and loves it, but plans to follow up with Pearables because she feels the latter adds a few more things in the end.
One of my favorite Pearable books is on building "Preparing Your Hope Chest".
You have had a lot of great suggestions. Have fun finding your plan. I have had a lot of fun studying these subjects and planning a 'curriculum' for my dc.
(and myself :D )
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed May 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Large Family Logistics, Tryanny of the Urgent, Managers of their Homes, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit, The Tightwad Gazette---These are some of the ones I will use to put together my own course. If my 15 daughter never picked up another "school book" but mastered the ability to run a household and be a Godly wife and mother, she would far surpass me. I think as homeschoolers we often get sucked into the secular trap that our girls and boys should be covering the same schoolwork. I have recently been convicted of this.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

laughablemoments

Post by laughablemoments » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

www.flylady.net has good info for home management.
DD(13)- Res to Ref w/ ext.
DD(11)- Preparing w/ ext.
DD(9)- Preparing
DS(7.5)- Beyond
DD(6) -LHFHG
DD(3) -LHTH
DD (1.5) having fun with everyone : )