Geography Guide for non artist? Carrie or Julie?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SMiles

Geography Guide for non artist? Carrie or Julie?

Post by SMiles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:40 am

Hello,
I know that the new guide is not out yet and although I have looked at the samples for Mapping the World Through Art I am a little nervous about the amount of drawing required in the new guide. My ds is just not the artsy type and even though he has accomplished all the drawing in the past guides it is not something he enjoys or excels at even now. I know that we all need to do things that are not easy and that art excellence is not the goal of HOD, but this is my dc who takes a bit longer on most things anyway. My concern is that the amount of drawing will overwhelm him and make his love of HOD dim even though I can tell the instruction and book choices are awesome!

I put Carrie and Julie in the subject line, but maybe someone who has been to a convention and looked over more of the material could chime in and give their advice. Are there drawings weekly or daily?

I plan on using all the material in the guide so content is not the issue. I am wondering about the length of the day and how much drawing is truly involved. Maybe once the weekly plan is online I will have a better idea, but if anyone has any opinion, please chime in!

Have a blessed week!
Sherry~Married to dh for 19 years!

DS14~Rev2Rev with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~
DD12~CTC with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~

We have used Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and RTR!!

Mercy

Re: Geography Guide for non artist? Carrie or Julie?

Post by Mercy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Hello,

I also have a son who DOES NOT like art and who tends to work slower. Ours is a long story but we are thinking of possibly doing the geo guide this upcoming year. I let him look at the sample and he actually liked the step by step directions of the map drawing! His words were, "Wow! Thats a smart way to learn geography!" Which brings up my other thought I wanted to share about how it really is an amazing way to learn. There is purpose with this art, probably more than some of the other guides actually. ;-) I think art skills are important to learn for many reasons, but in this guide I don't see it as much art as I do a method of learning geography. The directions for drawing look so step by step and logical in sequence that even my son, who does not consider himself creative, didn't have a problem at all with it. You might try showing your son and see what his opinion is...you just never know. ;-)

Mercy
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Geography Guide for non artist? Carrie or Julie?

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello!

Mercy did a terrific job of answering your questions, and I would agree with her! :D My oldest son is not an art lover, and when he went through the Geography guide with Mapping the World Through Art as a freshman, he really loved drawing the maps. The step-by-step directions and the accompanying step-by-step DVD lessons work so well in guiding the student in being successful with this! :D I think the way in which it is done will appeal to all types of learners!

Blessings,
Carrie