Bigger science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
heartofhannah

Bigger science

Post by heartofhannah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

We are going through OSS Seashore, and I was wondering if anyone found it was better to let the student read it to themselves or if it was better as a read-aloud with mom. We have been using it as a read-aloud, but it crossed my mind that maybe it wasn't intended to be used that way. I suppose it doesn't really matter that much, but was curious what others have done and enjoyed.

lissiejo

Re: Bigger science

Post by lissiejo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 pm

All of the science and history in Bigger, from my understanding, are still supposed to be read aloud...BUT...I have my girl read it to herself sometimes. The goal is comprehension so you need to make sure they can do this reading on their own. At this point I give her an option. She likes reading science and some of the history on her own, but The First Book is harder for her to comprehend so she usually asks me to read it to her. Another reason I encourage this is next year (Preparing) there will be more independent reading and I want her to be fully prepared for it.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 pm

In the Bigger guide science is meant to be read by the parent. Starting in Preparing the science box is independent. I had my ds read the science books in Bigger himself occasionally when I didn't have tome to get to them, but for the most part we did it together.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 pm

Sometimes DD will "sneak" read it while I am busy with another child and triumphantly proclaim that she already read her science pages and would I like to hear all about it. :) She then narrates it and we discuss it. I love that she wants to be "big" and read her school herself and since she can understand it so well I see little harm in letting her do it occasionally. But no, it is meant to be read aloud, and that is how we do it 95% of the time.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography