Starting up Bigger Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
heartofhannah

Starting up Bigger Hearts

Post by heartofhannah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 pm

We are new to Heart of Dakota and have not yet purchased materials. We would like to begin Bigger Hearts in January. Due to financial constraints, we are thinking about purchasing items as we go to spread out the expense. However, I don't know what resources get used first. Can anyone tell me what I would need to get started? I would like to have everything I need for the first 2-3 weeks before I started. Thank you for any advice you can give! We are excited to get started! :)

psreit

Re: Starting up Bigger Hearts

Post by psreit » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:40 am

Welcome to HOD. We are doing Bigger this year and will begin unit 9 next week. We are enjoying it. :D I will try to get you started with a list of books. To get you through the first 3 weeks, you will need:

Bigger guide
A First Book in American History
Journeys in Time
Hymns for a Kid's Heart
Cheerful Cursive
Preparing to Build
Storytime Book-Biography (will last 4 weeks) you read to child
One Small Square:Seashore (will last 4 weeks)
Math (whatever program you choose to use)
Reading - follow Emerging Reader Schedule or Drawn Into the Heart of Reading 2/3 - the student reads
There is a list of the emerging readers on the HOD website. The first book is a choice of either The Early Reader's Bible or the Beginner's Bible. If you are using DITHOR 2/3, the first book is a biography

I understand you are spreading the cost, but I would recommend at least getting the Economy Package which includes the guide and the history books. By unit 6 you will be needing Stories of Great Americans, so unless you are getting them used, it benefits to buy the package from HOD. There is a discount if you get the package. You could spread the science out, because that stays with the same book until finished and doesn't mix reading from the different books like the history.

Hopefully that covers each area. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

heartofhannah

Post by heartofhannah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Thank you so much! That is extremely helpful!!! One other question...my oldest son will be doing the extensions. Are they done on a schedule? If so, what would be done in that beginning time frame for those?

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

We are not doing the extension books, but according to what I can tell on the HOD website, you would probably need A Child's Story of America, Pedro's Journal, and Pocahontas and the Strangers for history. If you look at the package on the HOD site, it shows you in which units each book is covered. As far as science, there are only two books, and they don't show the units, so I think you should probably get both to start. Those would be Exploring PLanet Earth and The Story of Thomas Alva Edison.

Oh, I forgot. You will need the Little Pillows Devotional as well.
I think that would get you started. :)
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

heartofhannah

Post by heartofhannah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 am

Thank you so much! That is the info I needed! :)