OT: Texas

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ruth in FL

OT: Texas

Post by Ruth in FL » Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Remember I mentioned possibly moving to Texas?
Well, my husband is considering a job in Houston.
Does anyone know of any groups in Houston or Houston area?
I am still homeschooling three of my five kids,ages 17,13 and 10.

I heard Texas is a very homeschool friendly state....are my sources correct?

Thanks for any info!
Ruth
married 20 yrs to Mark, mom to three daughters 25,14,10
two sons 19 and 17, Nana to two boys 6 and 3.
Proud mother in law of a US Army Soldier.

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Ruth,

Yes, Texas if pretty homeschool friendly. No testing or keeping track of attendence.

My sister lives in Houston and I have only been their once. There are lots of things to do over there. We live about four hours away from Houston. Hopefully someone will jump in who lives in the area.

Blessings,
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

dcafamily

Post by dcafamily » Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm

I am not sure about the houston area, as we are in DFW. But yes, you did hear correctly that we are a very homeschooling friendly state. Basically you are considered a private school, but have to do no reporting to the state whatsoever.

As far as the state and school district is concerned, my kids don't exist.

On another note, if you are going to be down there by August, from what I hear, there is a good homeschooling conferance in The Woodlands the 3rd week of August I believe
Dawn in dfw, tx mommy to
delainey using LHFHG
chandler using LHTH
and darianna just tagging along

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm

My sister lives in Borger, TX, and she's always had great things to say about homeschooling in TX. I'm sure you'd enjoy living there - especially for the wonderful weather!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Texas is a fabulous state for homeschooling! We've just barely gotten going with it, but I like that like a previous poster said, my kids won't ever exist with the district as you don't have to file or anything. I don't really live anywhere near Houston (this is a huge state!) but I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of really active homeschooling groups. I knew some people who lived there for a while. You could check to see if there are any Houston homeschooling yahoo groups. That's sometimes a good place to start. Good luck deciding. Texas is a wonderful state!! (I'm not biased though. I'm only 4th generation Texan. :D )
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG