Midpoint Meeting Time Fun

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Midpoint Meeting Time Fun

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:10 pm

We now have 2 midpoint meeting times going on in our home each day - one for CTC, and one for MTMM. We are really enjoying them! Since we usually have a special drink and a snack mid-morning, we have decided to do this during the midpoint meeting times. I have 2 cups of coffee a day, so it works out perfectly on my end too! :lol:

Here are pics of our special fall/winter drinks for our meeting times...

The little guy can't be left out :wink: , though he has his special drink during his independent playtime...

If you've not heard of midpoint meeting times before, here is what Carrie had to say about them on HOD's Facebook page...

"With any of my students who are in the HOD guides from CTC on up, I have found it very helpful to schedule a mid-morning 30 min. checkpoint in my teaching day to meet individually with each student. During this mid-morning meeting, I go over any of the child's work that he has already completed, ask any questions noted in the 'I' boxes in the guide, have my student read aloud any written narrations, and I read aloud the key idea for each completed box after we go over it, etc. At the end of this time, I do one of my 'T' boxes (such as the Biblical worldview box, composer study box, art appreciation box, devotional Bible study box, poetry box, etc.) These 'T' box titles vary from guide to guide. I also have another checkpoint after lunch where I check any work completed since the mid-morning checkpoint. The mid-morning checkpoint helps keep me on top of my child's day so that he does not fall behind. My after lunch checkpoint shows me whether my child has completed all his needed work. If you don't have a mid-morning checkpoint in your day, you may want to consider adding in one!"

This midpoint meeting time has been a real lifesaver for me as my dc's teacher! I make sure to go through each completed box with each child individually, do any follow-ups, check any work and help them fix it with markerboard in hand to assist with spelling errors, read key ideas as a finale to the boxes, and then I usually teach a box or two assigned "T"'s. We really enjoy it, and it helps me do my part as a teacher for checking up and keeping tabs on those "I" boxes especially! Just thought I'd share how we are making meeting time extra special. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

raindrops

Re: Midpoint Meeting Time Fun

Post by raindrops » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Excellent idea. Love the idea of the special drinks! Don't get that at public school. Hah.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Love those special drinks! They look so yummy. I showed my dc, and I think they are going to be wanting a special drink during our meeting time too. :wink: :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 am

We do the meeting time too. However, there is no special drink. I think I may have to borrow this idea. Makes it more fun :wink:
Thanks for another great idea....
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 am

Too yummy! I think I need a meeting with you, Julie!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Okay, inquiring minds want to know. . . . .what kind of special drink is it? :D

Not to detract from the real point of this thread which is the midpoint meeting with our children, which we do too by the way :wink: , but just wondering what kind of special drink you are having the photos? I know I'm not the only one wondering this! :lol:

Thanks again, Julie for another great reminder that brings more fun into our day! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Oh my, I didn't even say the special drink, did I?!? :oops: Hot cocoa. :D Nothing too fancy, but what makes it 'special' is I spray whipped cream on top with sprinkles - oh that and the cup it is in too. :D I get fall sprinkles for fall, Christmas sprinkles for Christmas, etc. Colored sugar shakers, chocolate sprinkles, or theme shaped candy sprinkles are fun. I've also done different shapes/kinds of mini-marshmallows (i.e. snowman shaped for winter, heart-shaped for Valentine's Day, mint chocolate, etc.). I sometimes throw some marshmallows on the plate too. :D I was thinking apple cider may be fun too! Wyatt will choose hot tea with lemon and honey, or with milk and sugar quite often too. But for the hot cocoa, I get to decide how to 'dress it up.' :D I didn't want this to turn into an, "I'll take a hot cocoa with 8 snowman marshmallows, 3 sprays of whipped cream, and the multi-colored sprinkles on top" kind of order for me! :wink: That way, I get to surprise them a little and kind of have fun with it too. :D I like to use special cups we don't usually use too that are a little more fancy or fun. Thanks for responding, ladies! Have a super night! :D Remember to vote! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 pm

I don't have an independent worker yet, but when I read this post, and saw the first picture . . .
I just had to make a hot drink and dress it up for the afternoon school hour I have with my oldest!

He really enjoyed it and I think it made the work go down easier for the first 20 minutes or so of school.
We will have to continue this practice, especially as the weather grows colder and we work in front of our wood stove :)

Thanks a million, Julie for sharing this with us :D

Mikki
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

You have encouraged me to do a better job of implementing a special Meeting Time each day.

Thank you! What fun memories you are making.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:58 pm

What an awesome idea, Julie! Thanks for sharing. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:31 pm

We already have a special meeting time, but I think I'm going to add hot chocolate to it tomorrow. :D Well, only for my dc as I'm on no sugar right now. :wink:
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks, ladies! :D Here's the most recent hot cocoa concoction...

Have a super weekend! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm

my3sons wrote:Oh my, I didn't even say the special drink, did I?!? :oops: Hot cocoa. :D Nothing too fancy, but what makes it 'special' is I spray whipped cream on top with sprinkles - oh that and the cup it is in too. :D I get fall sprinkles for fall, Christmas sprinkles for Christmas, etc. Colored sugar shakers, chocolate sprinkles, or theme shaped candy sprinkles are fun. I've also done different shapes/kinds of mini-marshmallows (i.e. snowman shaped for winter, heart-shaped for Valentine's Day, mint chocolate, etc.). I sometimes throw some marshmallows on the plate too. :D I was thinking apple cider may be fun too! Wyatt will choose hot tea with lemon and honey, or with milk and sugar quite often too. But for the hot cocoa, I get to decide how to 'dress it up.' :D I didn't want this to turn into an, "I'll take a hot cocoa with 8 snowman marshmallows, 3 sprays of whipped cream, and the multi-colored sprinkles on top" kind of order for me! :wink: That way, I get to surprise them a little and kind of have fun with it too. :D I like to use special cups we don't usually use too that are a little more fancy or fun. Thanks for responding, ladies! Have a super night! :D Remember to vote! :D

In Christ,
Julie
I'm a little responding to this thread but I have to say, "Julie, you are a sweet, fun Mom!" 8) The little things go a long way toward building a loving home and I'm so encouraged by your example in that. Thanks.
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

wonderfilled

Post by wonderfilled » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for this encouraging post, Julie. I love how often their are such sweet posts on here, reminding me to focus on my children and make their school days special. We're traveling a lot right now, but I'd love to do this when we settle down.
Enjoying Heart of Dakota for our fifth year using:
Ds15- World History
Ds13-MtM
Ds11- RtR
Ds7- Bigger Hearts
http://wonderfilleddays.com

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Yes! This is a great reminder that everything does not have to be work, work, work all the time. Thank you, Julie! I am thinking, at my house, this might have to be an end of the school day special treat after each student has proven their diligence (maybe before rest time). Can you tell what we are working on right now?
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.