What pen is best for notebooking?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
OneFunSon

What pen is best for notebooking?

Post by OneFunSon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Ladies!
We are excited to be using M2MM this year. My son has always used pencil for his notebooking but I thought maybe I would have him use pen this year. I am a little nervous about this as he erases a lot but the pencil is a little hard to read (over the years he has gone from pressing too hard to not pressing hard enough) and I am afraid it will fade over time and become unreadable.

I looked at the frixion erasable pens, but I'm not sure how they will last - will they fade or disappear? (the website says they are okay to 140 deg.) Has anyone used these?

If he uses regular pen and makes mistakes what then? He does need to learn to be more careful in his work and I thought maybe using pen would make him do that, but at what cost to his notebook pages? :?

Things to consider:
What will write well on the notebook pages which have a slightly slick finish.
He is a lefty so the ink has to be fast drying so it doesn't smear.
Ink that will last on the page.

What have you all used that you like?

Thanks for any input!
Peace & Joy,
Karen

edit: I did a board search and found a little info in a recent CtC thread, but if anyone has anything else to add I'd love any input! I can not find the erasable sharpies that Julie recommended. Has anyone found these anywhere?

Tansy

Re: What pen is best for notebooking?

Post by Tansy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

My kids love the Sharpie erasable pen it has liquid graphite. After a few days it is no longer erasable.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm

I can't say what is best, but just thought I would let you know about my experience with the frixion pens. I really do like them. They write smoothly, the ink dries quickly, they look great, and erase well. However, I wrote on the chore chart I made with one of them before laminating it. ( I didn't realize that they were heat sensitive.) So after laminating, my writing was gone. It made me wonder what it would be like long term on a notebook page that was stored in the attic. :shock:

Tansy, I didn't realize that the graphite didn't erase after a few days with the Sharpie liquid pencils. That is interesting! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

OneFunSon

Post by OneFunSon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 pm

I didn't know that about the liquid pencils either. I read somewhere that someone had left their notes written with the frixion pens in the car and the writing disappeared. I don't think I would want to take that chance with our precious notebooks!

Thanks for your input ladies!

Peace & Joy,
Karen

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:47 pm

We use uniballs.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 pm

8arrows wrote:We use uniballs.
Hi Melissa :D - I may give these a whirl - are they hard to find? I have not heard of them before. Probably everyone knows about these except me. :oops: Do they erase? I ended up not liking the erasable sharpies I tried last year over time. We've used pencil up until now, but maybe the uniball will be the answer! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:36 pm

We buy our Uniballs at Sam's because they are a lot cheaper in the 10 pack, but you can get a 2 pack at Walmart. No, they are not erasable. Each of my children also have their own white-out, but we don't have to use it too much. (Note: I know this is not the standard way to do it, but I have my children write their first draft on regular paper. I check it, and then they recopy it in their best handwriting in the notebook. We have always used this method, so they were used to it.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks so much! :D They're on my Walmart shopping list now. :D Have a good weekend, Melissa! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

OneFunSon

Post by OneFunSon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:56 pm

I may try to find the uniballs also. I did get some Pilot V5's and I like them because they have a thin line and don't smear, but one of the tips was bent when I took it out of the package so I'm afraid they may not be very sturdy. I did find some White Out in a buff color which I'm hoping will not show up as much on the notebook pages, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for all the responses,
Peace & Joy,
Karen

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:24 am

OneFunSon wrote:... I did find some White Out in a buff color ...
What a great idea! Where did you find this? :D I'm not sure Wyatt will make the leap from pencil to pen if he can't erase errors or cover them up neatly somehow. I guess he has been fine with pencil anyway, but I thought a switch to pen may be fun to try. He may not agree! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

OneFunSon

Post by OneFunSon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 am

I found it at Staples in a two pack for $5 and change I think. He just used it and it matched really well in the yellowish box he was writing in!

My son is reluctant to switch to pen also. He wrote a couple entries in pen with no mistakes. Then he made one in some copywork so now he is even more reluctant! Even though the buff white out worked great he is afraid he'll make too many mistakes in his narration so he plans to write those in pencil and then go over them in pen until he feels more at ease with it.
hth,
Peach & Joy,
Karen