Singapore 4 a problems

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
exodus4

Singapore 4 a problems

Post by exodus4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:39 pm

My 4th grader is doing 4 a and we have encountered a few word problems that are VERY challenging . They are in 4a textbook . For ex this one , but there are a few others he couldnt do it.

The Difference between two numbers is 2184. If the bigger number is 3 times the smaller number, find the sum of the two numbers.

He could not do it by himself. Honestly I think this type of problem is very hard for a 4th grader. I want to challenge him , but not to bring him to tears. Is he supposed to try to doit by himself , or With help? This problem is from The textbook practice exercises .He is usually Good at math , this is the second year since we are using Singapore in combination with cle math . He had the highest math standardized test score from our school district this year. So he is an above average student, yet he struggles with some word problem in Singapore.

Is this common with Singapore math and if it's not, how should I remediate it? Go back one grade ? He is not struggling with the computation,only with some word problems from the textbook.

* I was able to help him with this problem, so I rather need advice on how to help him in the future ( and if its common to struggle a little bit with the word problems from the textbook ) and also if I should go back one grade or not rather than the answer to this problem which I figured it out :D

blessedmomof4

Re: Singapore 4 a problems

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

That is a challenging problem for me :)
If this is not your son's first year of Singapore, then I would say that working along with him on the textbook problems is exactly what you should be doing, using them as a teaching tool before having your son work on his workbook pages on his own. Take it slow, remembering that Singapore math is typically a year ahead of most American programs, and he won't lose anything by taking it slower if need be.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Their word problems are very challenging. I find that it helps to just work some of those together. Eventually they are able to figure them out. I purchase the Home Instructors guide to help me teach and see any tough problems. In the guide they are worked out completely rather than just a answer. Give him the test on Singapore's website. He may need to back up but he may do fine.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

exodus4

Post by exodus4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

I have the hig and I don't find it too helpful. He successfully completed 3b testing a few months ago. I think some word problems are developmentally very challenging , and I wasn't sure if he is supposed to work these by himself or with my help . I think kids who solve these must be gifted , because these seem to be problems I did in 7-8th grade! My son is very bright, but not gifted in math.

I just found out that he understands it very well when I use cusinaire roads to represent the diagram bars , instead of drawing. He was able to do This problem with the roads , all by himself and I am so proud of him! I am glad that I found a method that works :D to stretch his mind with hard problems like this one:

3000 exercise books are arranged into 3 piles.
The first pile has 10 more books than the second pile.
The number of books in the second pile is twice the number of books in the third pile.
How many books are there in the third pile?

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I think that is wonderful that you found a manipulative (the rods) to help him with the problems. Brilliant! I would continue using the rods but also showing him after he has done it with the rods how it correlates to the bar diagrams that Singapore uses. It will help him in the future if he can visualize the process without the physical rods so I would try to help him move towards that slowly. Kudos to him for solving that difficult problem on his own! I remember both of the problems that you mentioned and they weren't a piece of cake for my dc either, and they both test gifted in math. I do think some of the word problems in Singapore are very challenging, but I think they are wonderful in teaching problem solving skills and set the stage for algebraic thinking that the dc will need later on. It sounds to me like your son is doing fantastic so I would continue on where you are in Singapore offering assistance when needed. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 am

Great advice by pjdobro! :D I agree whole-heartedly. I have found it helpful to work alongside my dc on problems such as these with the answer key in hand. Approaching these together as a team effort is just fine. I do not use the HIG. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie