LHFHG for 1st grade?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tnsunshine3

LHFHG for 1st grade?

Post by tnsunshine3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:56 pm

I have a six year old boy, who is very very active, and has the attention span of a gnat :) He loves to do "science experiments" and build things. We just completed the K program with MFW. I loved that he really grasped strong biblical truths using the words to remember, and is really growing in his walk. He is sort of reading, he can sound out cvc words and short vowel words, but still have a bit of difficulty reading the short stories that was included in the program. While I think he is okay at math, he is lacking in where I "think" he should be for first grade. Handwriting is excellent for capital letters, but he is not placing them correctly on lined paper, nor is is writing lower case letters (although he does know how to write most of them, just prefers capital letters for some reason).
I had heard about HOD when we were at preschool level, and went with MFW because a friend gave me the curriculum, and I am glad we used it. My problem, is that from what I understand, MFW 1st is much much more advanced, and requires a lot of writing, which is a struggle for my wiggly worm. I have looked at the placement chart and it seems that Little Hearts For His Glory would be a good fit for his current abilities, but I would love to hear some feedback. I am afraid that LHFHG is going to be too simple/easy for him and he will get easily frustrated/bored, which happened with some of the activities in MFW k, so we eliminated them from our schedule. Over the past month, he has shown interest in knowing what we are doing for the day, so the layout of HOD seems like would work well. (Also, note that I am 6 months pregnant, and really need a curriculum that wont require too much planning)
Will LHFHG be a good fit for us for first grade or should I be looking at the next level up with HOD?
Also, what would be a good phonics choice? I dont really like the two suggestions that are listed on the website.
Thank you for your input and advise! We are looking forward to starting first in a few weeks!!!

mom23

Re: LHFHG for 1st grade?

Post by mom23 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 pm

We used LHFHG in 1st grade here and loved it! Wasn't too boring or easy for my wiggly worm :). We used it with The Reading Lesson. It worked, although I'm hoping to get my hands on the CD-Rom to use with it for the next two boys...
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm

From how you described your son it sounds like LHFHG would be the right place to start with him. It might appear to be "light" or "easy" but there are so many skills and habits that are taught in this level that when you do the guide as written you will soon realize just how much is being accomplished. And it is very doable when you are pregnant (my first time using LHFHG I combined my oldest two children in the guide, had a toddler and was pregnant with my fourth - and we managed to get school done almost every day.) It truly is an "open and go" teachers guide. I think you and your son will enjoy the short lessons and great hands on activities.
As for the reading choices, I have only used The Reading Lesson for my oldest three children with great success.
I pray you will find the right fit for your family.
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 pm

We are about to start LHFHG for a little boy for 1st grade... and we just finished up MFW K. :lol: We had done LHTH, but I didn't feel like he was quite ready for LHFHG yet, which is why we did a year of MFWK. This is going to be my 2nd time in LHFHG, and I don't think it will be too young at all! I think that LHFHG appeals to such a wide range of children, but it's so very age appropriate. He will love it, I'll bet. And this introduces so many skills in such a gentle way.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:41 am

We also used Little Hearts for 1st grade. We loved it! Plenty of moving, just enough seat work, great storytime stories and more. We'll be starting Bigger for 3rd grade in just a few weeks. :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 am

I also vote for LHFHG. Before I used it, I remember wondering if it was going to be too light, but once I began using it, I quickly realized it was just right, if not challenging in some areas. And my DD1 is not wiggly at all. I'm planning to use LHFHG for my wiggly DD2's first grade year because I don't think she'll be able to sit through the Burgess books next year.
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS