HOD and visual learner

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Natalija

HOD and visual learner

Post by Natalija » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi!
We have been using HOD Little hands to Heaven with my 4 y.o. - now he is 5 y.o. We still use it (we go half speed).
He really enjoys the parts where we have to "make " things using different materials. But I have one problem. The "talking" part where I have to "explane" him the moral values and biblical stories - he switches himeself off most of the time.
The thing is - he is language delayed and is a very visual learner. Abstract "moral" categories are hard for him to grasp. He is a good reader and doing great with easy reading books about dogs, things, stuff, but THE MORAL VALUES seems to be hard for him .
I like this curricula myself because I am very "biblical" person and love this Christ-centered aspect of it. But my son doing better with visual stuff. It is hard for me to explain him "biblical thinking" if I make sense.
From the other perspective, if he is ALREADY visual and I will continue to use "visual" types of curricula then HOW I will help him to develope his "auditory-proccessing" part of the brain?
Anybody can tell me about their experiences with HOD having visual learner? Did they eventually GOT all this parts about good christian character and values??

raceNzanesmom

Re: HOD and visual learner

Post by raceNzanesmom » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 pm

I think it takes time for all kids to fully get the moral concepts and character values being taught (by HOD and by parents). That's why I love how HOD revisits the same ideas over throughout the guides. For little ones, I find relating the reading to real life helps a lot. I haven't used LHTH, but perhaps using puppets or stuffed animals would help.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I didn't use LHTH, but my oldest ds(6) is THRIVING in LHFHG. He has language delays, auditory processing issues and is very visual as well. I actually waited a bit to start him in this guide because I wanted him to be more verbal and able to express himself better. I am sure LHTH will help your ds to develop in those areas where you have concerns. A slow pace is good as it gives him time to mature. You will know to speed things up as he begins to increase in participation and shows more signs of comprehension. LHFHG will also help him to continue to grow in these areas. I love how well my ds responds to this curriculum, but I really think that allowing him the time to develop and mature was critical to his current success. HTH.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:33 pm

I have a son who is very much like this and was even more so at a young age. He seemed to be able to "listen" better if I found a coloring sheet online to go along with whatever the concept was. So you might google coloring sheets for the Biboe story or value you are studying and let him use marker on it or cut on it. That may help more than you'd think!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm

We've done LHTH 3 times with our 3 different kiddos who each have different primary learning styles. They all enjoyed the parts that fit their strongest personal learning styles, and throughout the year grew in the parts that were not their best learning style. It was neat to see the growth over time! :D In general, young dc learn so much by actively participating in their learning, and with boys it would seem especially, conversation via discussions doesn't always hit home as much as we as moms would love it to! :lol: (Speaking from my own experience with 3 dsons :D :D :D ). So, doing the art projects, Bible activities, dramatic play, active exploration, and Fingerplays, are ways that dc can show what they have learned without needing to be able to express themselves eloquently verbally. Though I would love for conversations to flow and run deep early on, I can share with you that this has not been the case with our sons. :wink: However, I will say that by the time our sons reached Bigger Hearts, the conversations - especially the Godly character qualities studied - really began to hit home. By the time our dc did PHFHG, the discussions became deeper, and the addition of PHFHG planning for dc to begin to have their own Bible quiet time each day, along with Bible study with us as parents, really began to work on their hearts and in their minds. CTC on up have all provided a wealth of "running deep" Biblical conversations and applications. I LOVE that HOD plans for this! :D

So, all that to say, not many little ones doing LHTH will be able to discuss moral values very well, so the good news is this is quite normal. The even better news is that those conversations that tug at a mama's heart and draw our dc closer to the Lord are definitely coming in the future, thanks to the Lord at work, and HOD's making sure we take time to center our learning around Christ each day, each year! :D :D :D For your little honey that enjoys visual learning, LHTH would have something more visual each day of you went full-speed. Since your ds is now 5 yo, I think it would help with continuity to do it full-speed. HTH, and enjoy the journey! Those little ones have a habit of not staying little very long. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I have two boys who are both language delayed and abstract concepts were very hard for them. The devotions totally went over their heads. Just to encourage you though, they are both starting to grasp those harder concepts and ask questions about what they don't understand. I think going half speed with LHTH is good because it gives your son another year. A delay just means that the understanding comes in later than typical, but it will come in. I didn't think so a few years ago, but I can see it now.

Natalija

Post by Natalija » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi!
Thank you for your GREAT HELPFUL comments!
It is good to learn that some of you here have visual learners too and you have seen benefits of the HOD in the long run.
Also I want to add that my intuition suggests that his visual side is already strong, but the HOD is helping him "concentrate" on talking rather than on bright visual things and that is probably very beneficial for him, because it is working on strengthening his "weaker" side.
Julie! How encouraging to hear your experience with boys :wink:
to all of you - big thanks for taking your time to reply!!