Revival to Revolution--Science and History coincide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SMiles

Revival to Revolution--Science and History coincide?

Post by SMiles » Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

Hi,

I have a question about Rev2Rev and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. :) My ds will be using this guide in the fall and I am wondering if the science/inventor study time periods follow the history time period being studied. For instance, would the study about inventor James Watt need to be done during the same time period ds is studying about George Washington and John Whittier? I am thinking about having ds work on as much as the program we have with us overseas and then working on the subjects we missed (from Unit 1 on) when we get home to the US. I am thinking mainly about shipping (3 times shipping items around the world), but I don't want ds to lose the flow that I think is in the guides.

Also, how closely do the inventor studies correlate with the Exploration Education component of the science? I need to purchase this part once I return home and I don't know if I should keep the two parts together in study.

I could substitute another science that I have on hand, but I really want dc to do the subjects listed because we plan to use HOD all the way through high school. :D So they will get the inventor study and physical science at some point during the year.

So we could focus more on the history, state study, signers, language arts, math, poetry, biblical worldview, music appreciation, etc. now and then add in the science components later. For those of you that have used Rev2Rev, help me think out the pros and cons of doing it this way, please. :?

I don't want to use HOD as a buffet where I pick and choose because I know God has shown me this curriculum, but at the same time I need to be faithful with the resources we are given as ministry servants.

Any other suggestions or comments? I keep praying that the Lord will show me what to do.

Thanks,
Sherry
Sherry~Married to dh for 19 years!

DS14~Rev2Rev with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~
DD12~CTC with extensions, Saxon math & Dithor~

We have used Beyond, Preparing, CTC, and RTR!!

SMiles

Re: Revival to Revolution--Science and History coincide?

Post by SMiles » Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm

bumping this up in hopes that someone will be able to give me some advice....... :D

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue May 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi, Sherry! We are going to use Rev2Rev this coming year, so I haven't used it yet. My best guess is that the inventor study and history study will correspond time-period wise. I do not think that the Inventor Study corresponds with the EE science kit. The EE kit looks really wonderful from what I've been able to see so far. I hope that someone who has used Rev2Rev could give you some more details. I really admire how you are trying to be careful with your resources. I think that if it is at all possible for you, it would be best to do the entire year as written - just because of how beautifully it all flows together and makes sense. However, if you cannot do it that way, I know that God will bless you as you seek to honor Him with your finances. You can't go wrong when you're listening to the Lord and following Him! I will pray for wisdom for you.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

SMiles

Post by SMiles » Thu May 17, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks so much, Tiffini, for taking the time to respond. I have been hoping that someone who had some insight would help me out. I know that Carrie and Julie are busy with conferences and their dad so I didn't want to expect them to respond. :)

I know that the Lord will show me what I am supposed to do, but I really appreciate your prayers. :D

Your kiddos seem to be about the same age as mine will be as they do each guide.

Blessings,
Sherry

Shawna

Post by Shawna » Sat May 26, 2012 12:29 pm

bumping this to the front for you...I will be using it this coming school year and I am gonna be a newbie with that guide as well! I know you are anxious to hear from someone who has used it! I pray the Lord will give you peace and guidance!
Wife of 18 years to Best Friend Mike
Proud mamma to:
DS16~ Fast becoming a Young Man of God-most Responsible teen I know- Tech dude
DS13~ aka The Professor--Resident LEGO engineer-movie maker
DD9~Ballet dancer..Little Mother Hen---my artist

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 am

Hi, here is a link to the introduction of Rev to Rev http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/Rev2Re ... uction.pdf On pages 1-3 is the table of contents which gives an overview of what is covered in history each week. Pages 20-21 describe the science focus for this guide, including a list of the books used for Inventor Study. To tell the truth, I have not gotten far into Rev to Rev (only unit 9), but I can tell you, the EE science does not coincide with history but is amazing, easy to use, and at the advanced level qualifies as grade 9 science. My dd 14, who is my science kid, LOVES EE science. The Inventor Study does appear to coincide with the time periods being studied. Hope that helps!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12