Thinking about combining....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
granolamom6

Thinking about combining....

Post by granolamom6 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:05 am

my newly 7-year-old dd in with my 10 and 12 year-olds on Bigger.

While I do not find this the ideal... I am realizing that trying to do three different HODs as well as helping each child (except the 4 year old) to do their math and English -- when needed.... as well as run a home... I'm getting fried!

My dear friend IRL, better known as MamaMary here on the boards, sweetly suggested to me today that maybe I should consider sliding Josie (my 7 year old) up to Bigger from Beyond. They all would still continue to do their own maths, Spelling (I would use the Beyond words for Josie - and I use an ability appropriate list for the older two), Phonics/English and the older two would do the Extension (as they are) on their own.

The more I think about this, the more I want to do it. I need to free myself up a little. I think that I will be more accessible to my kids to help them as they need it...instead of barking at them for interrupting "school" with one of their siblings.

Any thoughts?
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 am

Oh Christa,

I cannot wait to hear all the fabulous suggestions you will get! :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:52 am

I say go for it. The worst that can happen is that she has a hard time and you feel the need to switch her back. You have everything you need so give it a trial run. We all have to find a balance between sanity and what our kids need.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

tawbur

Post by tawbur » Mon May 12, 2008 12:15 pm

Well, this might not be any help, since I haven't done Beyond or Bigger, yet. But I looked at both this past weekend and it seems to me that they generally cover the same time period historically, with just different books.

I decided on Beyond for all mine just because they fit that age best, but I think that Bigger is just as easily a "first-time" Amer. history course, and you could just add-in a book from Beyond here and there if you wanted for your 7yo. I think the "skills" area is just gradually increased in Bigger, and you could just skip anything in Bigger that'd be too much for the younger. And if I understand it right, the "Emergent Reader" schedule is in both, if that's what you'd need.

So, I think it'd be easy to do all the kids in Bigger, and "borrow" from some of the Beyond books as you want, and still all be on the same theme. Someone else will have more experience with this, but that's how I understand it.
Teresa

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Thank you! I feel so encouraged and confirmed that this will be the right decision for us. :-)

It almost makes me giddy to think that this is possible! At times in the last month I have felt like a circus performer running from one "plate" to the other trying to keep them spinning.

I am so blessed to have received this insightful suggestion from Mary. Thank you, my friend, for following the Spirit's urging.
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon May 12, 2008 4:07 pm

I think Mary does always know best. :lol: Seriously, she knows you and she is very wise. Plus you have all the guides to use and you would still be using Beyond for LA and Math so it is of value to you. 8) I would give it a trial run and just along the way see what works and what doesn't. Let us know how it goes for you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 12, 2008 9:59 pm

granolamom6,

Your newly turned 7 year old would fit within the recommended ages for "Bigger..", so you're actually not stretching as far as it might seem at first. I'd agree that this well-worth trying to see how your 7 year old does. :D

Saving our sanity is very important in the scheme of things, so I always advise trying to combine whenever it appears possible. Then, if personalities or ages aren't working well together, you can always separate. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie