singapore question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MeadowWay

singapore question

Post by MeadowWay » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am

We are currently using 1A. my son is slow in getting some of the concepts but I dialogue with him and show him and we move on. Now we are reviewing , and he gets lost when I say count up from 6 and add 3 more (addition) or count back from 9 , 2 places. I do walk him through it (verbally) to do it. But I was wondering if it would be more helpful to use a manipulative to do this. Yes, we do follow and do the pre activities before a lesson which usually involves a manipulative. but should we continue using a manipulative for the lesson?
thanks in advance
blessings
KK

alydar

Re: singapore question

Post by alydar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am

I'll just throw out there what we do be it right or wrong. :D My ds is highly visual and very hands-on. He is able to do some work in his head but if he needs a manipulative to help him then we do it. We use a soft tape measure as a number line, almonds or goldfish for counting, dividing, multiplying, etc., and sometimes we set up the tens and ones chart with dimes and pennies when working with 10's problems. At his age I'm most concerned with him really getting the concept and he does this best with manipulatives. I think eventually he'll commit alot of this work to rote memory but this is his way of getting there. :D HTH!
Whitney

DS 10.5
DD 8.5

DS 5.5

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalm 103:1

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:52 pm

We did/do exactly as Whitney has said. I could have written the response myself.

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:09 pm

My 7 yo dd, likes to use a one hundred chart. It's on her desk, along with other items and when we do exercises such as you described, if she needs it, I let her use it. :D
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 pm

We use a number line and 100 chart, too, as well as base 10 blocks with a place value chart. You could try taping a number line on the floor and letting him "walk" or "hop" on it to get a better sense of it. My mom is a retired teacher and gave me one big enough to move around on like that. You might could find one at a teacher store or online somewhere, or just make it. We also have a smaller desk-size one and counters. I think it's wise to use the manipulatives as long as they need them.

HTH,
Kathy
Completed HOD: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, Res to Ref, DITHOR

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 pm

We carry the manipulatives on from the lesson while doing the pages, too. I think doing this during the early years gives their mind something concrete to picture as they move to doing it mentally as they mature.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:40 am

I have had some of the same issues with my second DS. We also did what others have and continued to use the manipulatives as suggested in the guide with the lessons. He has surprised me, though, and some of the concepts that he struggled with in 1A he has done beautifully with when they come up again in 1B! :D

P.S. Good to see you on here, Kathleen!!! :D :D :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

montanamom

Post by montanamom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:47 am

I recently had similar issues with my dd7 & posted a question here (I found Carrie's answer especially helpful):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11040

Hope that helps,

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

MeadowWay

Post by MeadowWay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:58 pm

thank you immensely everyone who took the time to reply and share suggestions as well as to remind me to give myself permission to yes, allow manipulatives beyond just the demonstration activity written in the guide. It's one of those duh! moments , when you instinctively knew what to do. but you needed to hear it from others.. So good to be amongst like minded ones..
thank you again
KK