Not sure how to handle choosing readers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Parias1126

Not sure how to handle choosing readers

Post by Parias1126 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 am

Im looking at using Bigger with my 8 and 9 (10 in Sept) starting in August. I may order sooner and start sooner if I decide to switch to schooling year round. I'm looking at the emerging readers and independent readers for 2/3. I'm thinking level 3 with my 9 year old, but I'm unsure about my 8 year old. He has already read most of the books on the emerging reader list and is getting ready to start Tornado next week. He has probably read 6 on the list already because I was pulling my lists from Sonlight. Anyway,Out of the Level 2 independent readers, he was able to read The Littles no problem which I have at home already, but then I pulled Hannah up on Amazon to see if he struggled and he did. He was so proud that he read The Littles, but then got extremely discouraged with Hannah. I'm really Unsure where to go with this. I'm wondering if he is still a bit immature to use DITHOR.

I would appreciate any advice you all have.

Parias1126

Re: Not sure how to handle choosing readers

Post by Parias1126 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Anyone?

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I wish I could help but we just got our box last week :D I know someone will chime in with some great advice for you soon. :D
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

My 7YO would struggle with those longer books too. She is just now starting to have the patience/persistence to work through a chapter book instead of just easy reader books. The books toward the end of Emerging Readers get harder and are still challenging. A good example is the Christian Liberty Nature Reader, which is one of the favorites we have gone through so far. It is longer, with fewer pictures, but the vocabulary is still pretty good for an early reader, with just a few really challenging words like "metamorphosis" thrown in. I love the science we are learning through it (as I have loved the things the other readers have taught, along with getting good reading practice). Maybe you could just buy the rest of Emerging Readers and finish that off, before you plan to start Bigger in August. I would imagine between now and August he will mature and probably be able to handle it, especially if you keep working with him.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mamas4loves

Post by mamas4loves » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 am

I would second MelinKansas and continue through the list of emerging readers. DITHOR is so much more than a reading program in the fact that is takes the children through higher level thinking skills and I waited with my dd10 until she was in Bigger officially at age 9 before we started. I found the accompanying questions with the emerging readers helped to lay the groundwork for DITHOR.

HTH,
Jess
Jess
happy wife to DH of 14 yrs and mama to DD12, DD9, DS6, DD4
DD12--Rev2Rev
DD9--Preparing
DS6--The Reading Lesson!
DD4--LHTH
http://www.reflectionsfromyheart.blogspot.com

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 am

In the emerging reader's schedule there are suggestions for additional reading for each unit. Perhaps you could substitute those titles for the ones you have already enjoyed.
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am

brokenopen wrote:In the emerging reader's schedule there are suggestions for additional reading for each unit. Perhaps you could substitute those titles for the ones you have already enjoyed.

I agree. This is what I did with my kids. While I was homeschooling my nephew, he would hit a certain level and need to stay there before moving on so we took time to do more practice and used the suggested titles written for each unit as well.

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

Parias1126

Post by Parias1126 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Is there a list of suggested titles so that I could purchase everything I would need?

Parias1126

Post by Parias1126 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Anyone?

tjneary99

Post by tjneary99 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi,
HOD sells a booklist (extra readers for DITHOR)that contains the names of books in each genre by reading level and the Beyond teacher's manual does list extra titles also. I bought the book list and use that often. I imagine there would be titles in that list that would work. You could do library books too of your choosing for each genre. :)
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17[/color]

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 pm

The ladies have been so gracious with their time and so helpful already! :D I'll just add a few things to this already helpful thread. The Appendix in both Beyond and Bigger Hearts includes the Emerging Reader's schedule. It was key for our dc to work through the questions along with the readings. The schedule includes a plan for the pages to be read, questions that lead dc to be prepared for the higher level thinking questions in DITHOR, and a supplemental title that can be read for each week as well. If I were you, I'd begin with the last half of the Emerging Reader's Set, following the schedule and making sure to do the questions as you move your ds along. The questions were just as important, or more important, than the reading for our dc to be ready for DITHOR. Also, my dc have read and reread many of the books in the ERS, so if your ds happens to have read some of the books that may still fit his level well, I'd have him reread them, this time for the purpose of building reading comprehension instead of fluency. Whenever he completes the last half of the ERS, he can move into DITHOR 2/3. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie