Do you have to slow down math with 1/2 speed?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
montanamom

Do you have to slow down math with 1/2 speed?

Post by montanamom » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

My dd7 is nearing the end of Beyond so I am begining to plan for next year. She has done well this year and I'm sure that she would do fine with Bigger next year full-speed. However, looking ahead to realize that we will have to slow down somewhere before high school, and since this was only her first grade year (she has a late Sept. birthday), I'm considering slowing down Bigger to either 1/2 speed for a while or doing a 4 day week. My main question however is what to do with math/grammar when you slow down. I've seen on these boards that some people continue doing math everyday even when going 1/2 speed with a guide. But, I also read where it was recommended to be at SM 6A/B by 7th or 8th grade (at the latest) and to be at R & S 6 by 8th grade. So if we just continue following the guides as written but do 1/2 speed (even for math/grammar) shouldn't we reach the expected goal by 8th grade (M To M) or would we be behind??? (Hope this isn't to confusing :? )

Pam
DD 9- CTC + violin
DS 6- BLHFHG
DD 4 - LHTH
DD 2 y/o.

my4sugars

Re: Do you have to slow down math with 1/2 speed?

Post by my4sugars » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm not sure about what level you will end up with as you progress thru the guides. I did, however, do Beyond at 1/2 pace with my girls for 1st and 2nd grades. We only did grammar when it was scheduled; meaning we only did it when we were working on that particular side of the plans. Math was an everyday subject for us. We did have to slow down in 2A and 2B, as my girls started having a hard time learning and retaining the material. I just broke the lessons down into increments that they could handle. We are now working in Bigger at full-speed, and they are starting 3A at the end of this week. Not sure I've helped, but maybe it will give you some ideas for your own use. :D
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth