Quick ER question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hollyh

Quick ER question

Post by hollyh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm

The bible (yellow one- can't think of exact name)- it has 5 words in it that are too difficult for dd to sound out (the 5 that they put in the little box). Should dd be able to read these prior to starting the ER's or not? If she can't read them, does that mean she is not ready for the ER's?

Thanks!

my3sons

Re: Quick ER question

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:50 pm

I think the words in the box are the ones that are more difficult, but I don't have that little Bible in front of me right now. I'd say if the words seem more difficult, or if they are proper names or places that are just naturally usually more tricky, I'd introduce them before the reading. Go through them a few times, and have your child practice them. Then, as she is reading, you can help her with them as needed. Has your dd been through at least one complete phonics program? When you look at the Early Reader's Bible, can she read most of it fairly well, other than the tricky/uncommon words? Dc do phonics for 1-3 years, so she could either be ready for the ERS, or she could be needing another year of phonics. What are your thoughts? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

hollyh

Post by hollyh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm

She is still working on a phonics program, and probably will for another year. However, I know 100EZ lessons, etc. does not go as in depth as the phonics program we are using so I am trying to figure out at what stage I should do both the ERs and the phonics in tandem. I figure she will be ready to start the ERs in a few months. Thanks.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Once dc have completed at least a year of daily phonics, they may be ready for the ERS. It sounds like your dd is nearing that - hooray! :D Here is a tip Carrie shared in another thread that may be a good way to test if your dd is ready for the ERS...
A good, quick way to tell if a book is too hard for your child is to give it the 5 finger test. Have your child read aloud one page from the book to you. For each mistake your child makes, count one finger. If your child makes 5 or more errors on the page, the book is too hard.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

scampbell2003

Post by scampbell2003 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Thank you for the 5 finger idea! I will be using TRL with my 6 yr old for K and was wondering if that will be enough. That will be useful to see if he is ready for the ER.
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2