Re-Intro & Using HOD for children with Down syndrome

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofmany

Re-Intro & Using HOD for children with Down syndrome

Post by mommyofmany » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 pm

I've only posted a few times over that past years. Here's our story....We were using Sonlight before we found HOD. I wanted to find something more cohesive and Christ-centered & felt blessed to find HOD. I ordered LHTH to use for our son w/Down syndrome and LHFHG for his older brother. Things got crazy between being pg and trying to hs while *trying* to finish my own bachelor degree- so, we ended up putting Matthew and Colton in school to finish out that year. When we returned to hsing (and our senses) we had to choose a new curriculum for first grade for Colton. I presented all the *options* to my dh and he dedcided to go back Sonlight. I always felt an uneasiness about it but feel I need to leave those decisions up to him. We're having a pretty good year, but we can both tell that Sonlight isn't going to be the right fit for our family in the long run for many reasons. We decided to order LHTH (AGAIN) for Matthew and will use it for Anna as well since she is turning 3 this June. They already know their letters and letter sounds so it should be great for them! I plan to use LHTH for 2yrs and then move them both up to LHFHG. I've already spent countless hours (and $$$) planning out 2nd grade for Colton (wishing now I would've just planned to use Bigger half-speed) but will likely be putting him in Bigger for 3rd grade. He's very advanced so I hesitated placing him in Beyond for 2nd, but felt he wouldn't be ready for Preparing in 3rd if we had used Bigger full-speed for 2nd. Ugh, when will I ever learn? :roll:

Are there others out there successfully using HOD to hs your child with Down syndrome? I'd love to hear your stories. I would think for Matthew we may end up spending 2-3+ yrs in each guide and just modify the expectations of his work. Our main goal is raising him to have a heart for the Lord and honoring Him in all things!

Am I crazy to think I can juggle 2-3 guides at a time through the years with our *semi-large* family? There could be more babies in the future :wink:
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

mommyofmany

Re: Re-Intro & Using HOD for children with Down syndrome

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 pm

I hope it's okay if I bump this thread up :wink: Hoping someone with a little one with Down syndrome might see it......
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Welcome back to HOD! And welcome to the boards :) I know there are others here using HOD with their special needs children, from autism to DS and all sorts of other needs. They'll chime in I know, when they see your thread!

I don't have a child with DS but have used multiple guides including times I had two kids with sensory processing disorder in the midst of sensory insanity...the oldest for sure and she's been interesting to say the least, then my youngest. We learned about his SPD and delays bc he absolutely doesn't sleep and I needed answers! That was a year ago... Or more and still not sleeping. Lol. Anyway, we were running 2-3 guides, plus the newborn and toddler and then the newborn became the sleepless tot and he and DD were getting at least ten hits of therapy a week between the two of them. We somehow managed to still get school done many days, sometimes not. But 2-3 guides wasn't a huge ordeal and had I been getting any sleep at all at that time likely would have been totally easy to run multiple guides mostly in track. I did stop altogether somewhere in the midst of the worst part and dealing with PPD (which was likely actually issues from my newly diagnosed health conditions). We had to slow down, do school when we could, and I had to remember its okay to just get the basics in sometimes and that the little ones didn't have to have as much school as the big one, so of all I did was a little phones and some math most of the time...it really was okay to allow myself that grace. When things settled, running multiple guides was a breeze. You can do it and many moms here do! I have some sample schedules on my blog showing how we ran the three levels and cared for a baby too. The links to see them are in my right sidebar in the blue box on top. www.ThomasSchoolDays.blogspot

Maybe that will give you an idea of what a day full of HOD looks like (and it's not that full!) and there's also a thread on here at top of the boards titled Let's share our schedules (I think that's right) and that's really helpful!!

I'm phone typing so forgive any autocorrect funnies, rudeness, or confusion! :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tamara! Your house sounds a lot like mine, lol. My 6yo has some sensory processing issues (actually 3 of my children do- but his are the most significant). He was diagnosed with PPD-NOS (on the autistic spectrum), for lack of a better diagnosis. He also has ADHD. Basically we're dealing with all sorts of special needs 24/7 around here! Our 2yo has something going on too. At this point it doesn't really matter what their diagnoses are....we just want to help each of them reach their fullest potential :) It certainly makes for an interesting family dynamic! I'll definitely be checking out your blog and thanks for sharing the tip for the scheduling thread. We use Managers of Their Homes Schedule Breeze for our scheduling and really like it. Have a blessed weekend!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

mommy3

Post by mommy3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Hello mommyofmany!

I am using HOD for my daugther that has Down Syndrome. WE LOVE IT!! She is 9 years old and we are doing the "Left Side" of LHFHG this year as well as the Emerging Readers and Spelling List 2 from Beyond. I also have her do a phonics worksheet (or 2) from Explode the Code or other workbooks for review each day. I am using other programs for her math and handwriting. I also have 4 1/2 year old twins and they are doing LHFHG as well. My goal is to use HOD exclusively for my twins and Kayla (my duaghter with DS) will have her own reading/spelling/math etc. but will do the "Left Side" and Storytime with the younger girls as long as she is able.

I think LHTH sounds like it would be a great fit for your son...maybe even start to add in The Reading Lesson if he knows all of his letters and sounds if he is interested/ready. Kayla did LHTH along with her sisters last year and although she could read already, the crafts were great for her delayed fine motor skills and she absolutely LOVED the music and fingerplays. She REALLY, REALLY LOVES LHFHG this year too! She's doing great! I've found that sometimes we've had to work on a particluar math concept for longer than a few days as well as work on a particular spelling list for an extra week but that's OK! We just go at HER pace, adding in LOTS of review, and finding creative ways to practice skills (games, etc).

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
Hope this helps!
Stephanie

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Stephanie (mommy3),

It sounds like Kayla is doing really well with HOD! That is very encouraging to me! Matthew LOVES music and I think he's really going to enjoy the fingerplays too, like Kayla did. I'm glad you mentioned "The Reading Lesson" as I was going to ask which program might be good for Matthew. He learned the letter sounds from watching LeapFrog Letter Factory and using flashcards. I don't like to use the TV for education in general, but he is such a visual learner and it's what was working for him. We've also used Your Baby Can Read with him. He really struggles with fine motor skills too. Maybe I'll message you to ask about specifics for ideas in handwriting in math. We've got a long way to go before he'll start to form letters....I can barely get him to scribble with a crayon! But, he's recently taken to watercolors- we're excited about that! I had the same idea as you, with using the left side of the guides (& read-alouds) to his ability and using whatever he needs to cover his "basics". We're just thrilled to have him home with us and making progress :D For the few months he was in public school last year, we had a couple of scary things happen which just reaffirmed our choice to homeschool him! Hope to talk to you soon.
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Emily,

I just want to encourage you that we have many families using HOD with children with varying levels of special needs. We are so blessed to have some of these moms on our board and also to know others through our visits at conventions. :D

It sounds like you have a good plan forming right now, so I'll just welcome you and let you know that we'll be glad to help discuss options as you fine-tune any placements for your kiddos. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

I dont have a child with Downs syndrome but I did want to encourage you :D I think your plan sounds flexible and good and I think putting the two younger ones together is a great idea. Your goal is excellent . 8)
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:09 pm

spidermansmum wrote:I dont have a child with Downs syndrome but I did want to encourage you :D I think your plan sounds flexible and good and I think putting the two younger ones together is a great idea. Your goal is excellent . 8)
Thanks for the encouragement, spidermansmum! We are really excited about starting LHTH soon! :D
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7