handwriting or copywork or both?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MeadowWay

handwriting or copywork or both?

Post by MeadowWay » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 pm

We are new at using Beyond with our 8yr.old son who is in 1st gr. He has learned to form his letters this year (via my directions on a whiteboard and some usage of a handwriting workbook) My question is if y'all incoporate handwriting in the workbooks plus copywork? or one or the other? If its just the workbooks only, at what point would we introduce the copywork.
A little background here might be useful. He is a bright child with some processing issues and very hyperactive and has never been able to sit still long enough to learn to read or write, (thus 8yr old and 1st gr.) but Praise the Lord, things are moving (snail's pace but moving forward) Writing just his first name (six letters,) can take 10 mins, as he loses concentration etc. therefore I am hesitant to ask him with the copywork. I do get him to do 5 of his spelling words, (presently we are only selecting 5 from the list, will increase as time goes on) and he is also writing them on a whiteboard, (another 10 -15 mins undertaking)
We are smitten with HOD, if ever there is a right curr. this is it for him (and me) everything I ever dreamed of, Godly, interactive, CM, short lessons, literature based, but with content and a goal... and super helpful authors and active, friendly, message board. WOW!!!!!!!
Blessings
KK

creekmama

Re: handwriting or copywork or both?

Post by creekmama » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 pm

KK, I don't have an answer for you. I'm looking forward to the responses you get because we're struggling a little bit in this area as well. My son will be 8 in April, and he hates writing! We've just started Bigger half speed because getting him to write is like pulling teeth! We are currently doing a little bit of copywork instead of cursive, but he's looking at the cursive book and saying, "This looks like a lot more fun than copywork." Go figure!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:46 pm

We're in Beyond doing both handwriting and copywork, but my daughter's handwriting was pretty good to start with. I never have her do handwritting for more than 15 minutes total unless she is just being sloppy because she's being ornary...I'm sure no one ever has that problem, right? :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

golfmom

Post by golfmom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

My daughter is 7 and is in Beyond. We not longer do handwriting instruction. We use abeka handwriting(the cursive option) in kindergarden and first grade. By second grade they know how to write. That said she hates to write. She has some learning issues that make it a real big chore. What I do is pick out one Bible verse a day for her to copy. It's not much but I would rather have 1 good sentence than 4 sloppy ones. It still takes her 15 minutes to do her copywork. One thing I do for her(it might work for your son) is to have her work on one word at a time. Between words she can jump in place, jog around the room or some other activity. Yes, it does drive me crazy but I've had to let it go. She just has to move. A big exersice ball works also. Use this instead of a regular desk chair. It can make a huge difference. Hope one of these ideas help.
Lori
Wife to Bobby for 12 years

Mom to 3 little golfers:
Madalyn(9)- Bigger/extentions
Haley(7)- Beyond
Joey(5)-Starting Little Hearts in Jan.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I have a 9 yr old who struggles with handwriting.When my Ds was in Beyond -i used G+D B ,I gradually added in the copywork.I think at first I had him write some of the bible verse.Then I would write a line of the poem,and he would copy just that line.
In Bigger now ,I write some of R +S for him.So if there is 10 sentences to copy,I Might give him blanks to fill in,or write the big words in for him.This helps him s he has trouble sequencing and gets overwhelmed .I am still writing out a line of the poem and have him copy underneath I plan on getting him copying himself as we move through this year.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm

KK,

Aren't the ladies on the board wonderful! :D From what you've shared about your sweet son, I would recommend doing A Reason for Handwriting A, but skipping past all of the letter practice pages in the beginning of the book. By starting on the lesson where the copying of actual words begin, you will finish the handwriting book before you finish Beyond. At that point, you would shift to having your son do some copywork of the poetry in Beyond each day to help prepare him for the copying coming in Bigger. :D

When doing the A Reason for Writing A lesson, do only a day's worth each day, taking 4 days to complete the lesson. :D On the 4th day, use one of the papers in the back of the book for writing the verse. Then, have your son give the verse to someone giving him "A Reason for Handwriting". :D Link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/handwriting-k-a.php

We did this with one of our own sons, who wasn't quite ready to write much, and it worked well. When you get to Bigger you may have to go half-speed for a season to ease him into the written work there, but I wouldn't worry about that now. :D

Blessings,
Carrie