Bigger Hearts Teacher Intensity

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lissiejo

Bigger Hearts Teacher Intensity

Post by lissiejo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 am

I have been reading a lot that Bigger is the most teacher intensive of the guides. I will have already completed the first three (Little Hands, Little Hearts, and Beyond - this year) with my daughter so she has those foundation skills. I don't mind this, but from looking in the guide I'm not exactly certain which part is so much more intensive. I'd love some input as I prepare for next year!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

lmercon

Re: Bigger Hearts Teacher Intensity

Post by lmercon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 am

I found that it was more teacher-intensive simply because there was more to do each day than in the earlier programs. Most dc that age are not able to work without direction and prompting, so it just was more time out of the day spent with the child than in prior years. Once they hit Preparing, most dc have strong reading skills and have developed some maturity and are able to work independently for stretches of time, which frees up mom.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 am

I think the age of the child could make a difference too. There is a big difference between 7 & 9 and age 8 could go either way. I agree with the pp, there is just a lot more to do. I find I am teaching many skills as we do the boxes. For example, my son has not used a dictionary before so he is learning that skill. With the notebooking exercises he is learning how to follow directions and plan how he will do his page before he picks up his pencil (plan to make drawings the right size so 5 can fit on, etc). I am slowly working to get him ready for some level of independence in Preparing, so right now he is checking off our schedule and telling me what subject is next, I am reading the directions from the box and asking him to tell me what he is going to do before he actually does it (versus just directing him through the activity as I have done in the past). I think for us it will turn out to be the busiest year for mom, but I am loving it!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks ladies! That helps me out a lot for planning. I'll be using 3 guides next year with my 3, 5, and 7 year old so I want to make sure I adequately help her through these beginning learning stages. I hadn't thought about the need to teach things like dictionary skills alongside. I'm glad you mentioned that!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory