? for people using OPGTR - when to start ER's

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hollyh

? for people using OPGTR - when to start ER's

Post by hollyh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:46 pm

If anyone is using OPGTR for phonics, I'm wondering when you chose to start the emerging readers. I know you are supposed to finish phonics instruction (and I will) but it seems that dd would be able to read some early readers well before OPGTR would be completed, right? Did you wait until it was completed, or around what lesson did you start the ER's?
Thanks!

Heart_Mom

Re: ? for people using OPGTR - when to start ER's

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 am

hollyh wrote:If anyone is using OPGTR for phonics, I'm wondering when you chose to start the emerging readers. I know you are supposed to finish phonics instruction (and I will) but it seems that dd would be able to read some early readers well before OPGTR would be completed, right? Did you wait until it was completed, or around what lesson did you start the ER's?
Thanks!
I'm sorry that I don't know, but what's OPGTR phonics? :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:19 am

I don't know, but I am using OPGTR (Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading) with my daughter so I will have that question here in the near future! Listening to what others say...
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:40 am

krazzymommy wrote:I don't know, but I am using OPGTR (Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading) with my daughter so I will have that question here in the near future! Listening to what others say...
Thank you! I have that book, but didn't recognize the acronym! :oops: I'm not sure when to start the Emerging Readers when you're using that guide. Maybe once the first ER book is doable for the child?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."