Bible Study

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmama

Bible Study

Post by blessedmama » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:47 pm

I was wondering how everyone does the Bible Study boxes. I have four children LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger and Preparing. Does anyone have their olders who are in Preparing do an independent BS? I thought about my two oldest doing the Preparing BS together and I would do the younger two in Beyond. I don't know what to do. We do do devotions as a family after supper.

Suggestions?!?
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

Mercy

Re: Bible Study

Post by Mercy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to give you a lil response, for whatever it is worth. Doing devotions as a family is so different than doing them individually. Its so nice to be one on one with each child. I try to do the boxes, ussually as scheduled. Preparing's bible is mostly teacher-led, so we worked through that together for the most part. For our schooling (before HOD) we have always tried to schedule "quiet time" for the kids to encourage that relationship w God. I really appreciate how HOD has directed them, incrementally, on HOW to draw closer in personal Bible study and prayer. In your situation, with a lot of younger guides, I can imagine it is hard to fit it all in. Some days, with phfhg, you can just hand your child the guide and thats all - but not every day. I found a lil groove w phfhg, since some days seemed that the schedule was heavier and others lighter. I tried to glance ahead and be prepared on those heavier workdays.

Not sure how much I was able to help here, but thouht Id share our experiences.
Mercy
14yob- World Geo Guide
8yog- BHFHG
5yob- LHFHG

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 pm

I do the Bible study at a separate time with my daughter in LHFHG and then the Bigger Bible Study for my 2 sons at breakfast, so it is in a conversation format. My daughter actually gets to overhear both of the lessons! Oh well, double dose! It's a good thing!

I do DITHOR individually with my 2 sons, as well as listening to them narrate and helping them with their history and science daily assignment separately. It is working well this way for us.
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:34 pm

I like to use the Bible study from each guide, since it ties into the history and has age-appropriate questions for discussion. So, when I sit down on the couch with my Beyond child, we read history, poetry, and Bible study all in one block. When I work with my Preparing children, it's the same thing. We do something different as a family before bedtime, so I like keeping their Bible study for school individual (or mostly so, since I do have some combined).

If you are already doing everything separately for each child, I'd keep the Bible study separate too. It doesn't take too much more time than combining would. It also helps the youngers, who normally have older siblings answering questions for them! My 1st grader is having to pay more attention and think more about what I'm reading, since his older siblings are no longer combined with him.

About Preparing, my dc only do the Bible study on their own once per week, when it's quiet time day.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I do the Bible studies separately as well (in LHFHG and PHFHG). I do find that it's very revealing to do them individually, as they share so much more of their heart - their fears, their temptations, their challenges, etc. In PHFHG, 2 of the days are supposed to be totally independent though. It says in the box something like "Today you will be doing your own Bible Quiet Time". On those days, I just have my ds say his verses for me. LHFHG's Bible study is pretty short, and from CTC on up, the Bible Quiet Time is independent, though the "Bible Study" is done together. We have really enjoyed this time, as it has balanced out our time together nicely. I'd keep with it, but not draw it out. I've found we can clip along with our time together, and still have a good discussion that makes an impact. For PHFHG, you should only be leading it 2 times a week, so that will help. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I just want to chime in also! :D I used to do the Bible Study sections with all my children at once. It was still valuable for them, but now that we are doing in individually ... it is amazing! They really tend to think deeply and be very transparent when they are one-on-one with me. I really think it's worth carving this special time out, even if you have to compromise in a different area of your schedule.
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

girlboygirlboy

Post by girlboygirlboy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I have 2 in Preparing & 1 in LHFHG. The LHFHGer sits in for Bible with the olders, recites the verses and often answers the questions(we also go over our Awana verses at that time). Then I do the LHFHG Bible with him by himself. I know from experience that when he gets to it in 3 years, it will be new to him, but it's nice for us to start the day with Bible as a family.
Jennifer
mom to girl11(cs), boy10(Bigger), girl8(Bigger), boy5(LHFHG)
http://www.chroniclesofgrace.wordpress.com

blessedmama

Post by blessedmama » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Thank you, ladies!
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)