Review of learned material question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Natalija

Review of learned material question

Post by Natalija » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi!
We just had our first lesson of LHTH. My 4 y.o. seems to like it. I like about this cir. that it is auditory and visual as well. My son has incredible visual memory, but his listening skills are a bit behind. He is waaay ahead than learning alphabeth( he can read little books already), but these fingerplays and Bible reading and CD listening, as well as crafts are right on target, that's why I decided to use LTHT.
My question is about REVISION of the material. It seems we have to move on new things every day . But I know that my child learns a lot when he repeats what was learned the day before. Like I want him to learn this 1st fingerplay so he can do it himself.
so how do you guys do reviewing? Any advice?
Thanks!
And one more question: What Bible verse should he learn? The one mentioned in the beginning?

Natalija

Re: Review of learned material question

Post by Natalija » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

bump

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:33 pm

You are doing the fingerplay for the whole week, also emphasizing the letter and sound in many different activities throughout the week. My kids did not memorize many of the fingerplays in total, they just didn't remember them that well, but I felt like it was enough (though I was doing it with a 4.5 YO who was very ready for letter sounds and knew most of them already and a 2.5 YO who is extremely visual and picked them up quickly, so I don't know with a younger child who is still struggling to get them how it would go).

The memory verses are in your devotional book of choice, so when you read the devotional book you will read the verse, and you can write it down, make a small sign for the wall, and repeat it every day if you want them to have those memorized. LHFHG is the first one where Scripture memory time is scheduled in each day of the plan.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Natalija

Post by Natalija » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks, Mellisa!
That was helpful! I still learning how to use it, so SOMEHOW I thought that there is a new fingerplay for each day :) Now I looked through the book again and you right it is only one for the whole week!
Have a great day!

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 pm

What I do with my daughter is just try to review our Bible lesson and storytime portion from the day before and ask her to recall it and retell me the story. I just find that this recall works well to help cement it in the brain more. I do this with my sons as well and am amazed at how much it helps them to retain. Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:03 am

There are also periodic reviews where the child spends a unit reviewing and not doing a new letter. I can't remember the details now, as my dh did a lot of Little Hands.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC