New here. Questions re: Little & Preparing and what to b

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christy in Texas

New here. Questions re: Little & Preparing and what to b

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 am

Hi ladies! I am so happy to find this website. I have been homeschooling my almost 9 year old son since he was half was thru 1st grade public school. I have 5 1/2 year old twin girls that I will start their schooling in the fall.

I'm totally on board with Charlotte Mason and we have been doing Ambleside online for the last 2 wks. Luckily I haven't bought any books, just using the library. My children are not getting all of the super old literature. I will still read aloud some of the greats, but I don't think it's for us as far as our WHOLE schooling. I have a few questions for you all.

1. Looking at the scope and sequence my girls would be in Little Hearts. What would I need to purchase? I'm not really understanding how the packages work. And since I have 2 in Little, I don't want to buy 2 of the exact same thing. So what would I need to buy 2 of? Any consumables?

2. My son will fit in Preparing all except for the cursive writing. What would you do there? He has just done some very basic tracing of cursive letters and short words.

3. MATH!! I used Horizon's first grade and second grade. Brycen didn't like it at all. This year we used Alpha Omega Lifepacs. He hasn't complained as much this year as much. It's a spiral approach and I don't know if that's the best for him. I have to remind him how to do things that we've been doing since the beginning of the year. The same things come up every few lessons, but they don't stick. So I'm looking for a mastery approach. I did look at singapore, but he doesn't do to great at the mental math thing and I think that I would have to start him way back to get those concepts. Would it really matter much? I would start him at 2B I think. He only knows thru 3's in multiplication. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been looking at Developmental Math, Modern Curriculum Press and Scott Foresman. There are so many!!

4. Phonics. My 9 year old learned this at public school, so I'm a little nervous about teaching the girls to read. What is your favorite phonics program. Or do you even do phonics? Some people don't..........

5. THE LAST question. What if you are buying a package and you already have a book or two. Can you take them out of the package?

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful input.

:lol:
Christy, wife to Danny of 14 years, mom to
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:03 am

I haven't seent the cursive aspect of Preparing so I don't know what is involved but you can certainly use most of Carrie's program as written and just substitute for the area where he is weak. I think Carrie reccommends Cheerful Cursive in Bigger.

We are doing Beyond and using A Reason For Handwriting Transition book. You could do alot with son over the summer to get ready for doing Preparing in the fall. You could just write out simple sentences for him to copy each day and have him work on his letters using a wipe out placemat, walmart/target/dollar general etc... That's how we started, just the placemat each day for a month, then copying simple sentences then moving into a handwriting book.

Even if he's not ready for the Cursive work in Preparing by fall, don't give up, just change the handwriting part to something suitable for him.

:D

As for phonics, we love the Reading Lesson Book. As you use it, you just put a sticker on each page they complete, you could put the stickers at the top for one child and at the bottom for the other. Phonics isn't scary, you just follow the directions. You can do it!

We use singapore and I love it. The level isn't important, just make sure you do the Singapore placement test to pick the right one for him.

HTH
Last edited by netpea on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 am

Welcome!
Let's see what I can answer.

Little Hearts for His Glory has 3 consumables that you would need for each child. The handwriting book of your choice and Do It Carefully and Finding the Answers books. Other than that, you should be able to do it all with one set of books.

We are using the Reading Lesson for Phonics, but I'm not really sold on that. My DD was reading simple 3 letter words before starting it, so that may be the issue we are dealing with. Most seem to like the book.

That's all I can help with for now. Hope you get the answers you seek from some of the other more knowledgeable ladies.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Christy in Texas

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:10 am

So I've been looking some more....... :roll: Now I think I might do Bigger with him since we haven't covered any of the books. That way we can stay w/ this curriculum longer. hmmmmm..........
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

Christy in Texas

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:11 am

also, what's the difference between the kinder and first grade packages in little??
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

Christy in Texas

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:39 am

Or................... Could I do Beyond w/ all of them.......LOl! I know, I'm crazy.
:oops: Just trying to think this thru.
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:13 am

Christy in Texas wrote:also, what's the difference between the kinder and first grade packages in little??
The science and math both have different levels you can choose from based on your child's maturity.
Also the fine motor skills has 2 different levels.
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 am

Christy in Texas wrote:Or................... Could I do Beyond w/ all of them.......LOl! I know, I'm crazy.
:oops: Just trying to think this thru.
Did you place the girls according to the chart?? I would think they would be better off in Little Hearts unless they place in Beyond on the chart.

Your son may think Beyond is too light if he is placing into Preparing.

I'm sure some more ladies will offer their advice, but make sure you check the placement charts.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 am

Christy,

Welcome to the boards! We're glad you're here. :D

The first essential step is to check out the placement chart on our website. Here's the link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Pay the most attention to the categories on the first page of the chart, as they are the most important.

For your older child, you will need to give the Singapore placment test, found at this link: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

It is very accurate in helping you place your kiddo in Singapore at the right level.

Once you've done those things, let us know what you think, and we'll be able to help you so much better! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:11 am

Hi Christy! :D First off, welcome to HOD! There are several of us with twins here!

I did some of Ambleside as well and while I do love the concept, my kiddos weren't crazy about some of the earlier selection. But, I've tried some of them at a later age and they were fine, so I think age and maturity have something to do with that. Now, having said that, I truly believe HOD is just as CM and wonderful as Ambleside and more importantly....it's way easier to implement!

I think someone already mentioned the consumables for Little Hearts, and I do believe that would be the best place for your girls. If you start trying to combine (all in Beyond) too much, you lose the "open and go" feature of HOD and it starts becoming more work than fun. You would need 2 of the handwriting, the R&S books, and the math workbooks. One of everything else is fine. There really isn't that much difference between the K and 1st of the science books, but Carrie has recommended the K one over the 1st one b/c it is better.

I would check the placement chart carefully for your son. If he places more into Preparing , then put him there and you can add Cheerful Cursive OR he may place more into Bigger.

It is VERY nice that you already have a solid understanding of CM...you'll love HOD!
If you have any other questions, just ask!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Christy in Texas

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:28 pm

So for the girls I will need:

2 each of

Handwriting
Thinking skills (I think the R&S will be boring to them)
Math

Will I need two The World God made?

Is that it?
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:33 pm

You can use either one. The R&S books are simple, but so very sweet. We enjoyed them.

You do not need 2 of the science books...those are text type books. I used My Father's World (the 1st grade one) and every once in while there will be a page to write on....we just copy it on paper....no problem.

Sounds like you have a good plan!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Christy in Texas

Post by Christy in Texas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:52 pm

so the thinking skills book is consumable right?
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:25 pm

I'm not 100% sure of that Christy, but for some reason I'm thinking that it is consumable so you would need 2. They're so inexpensive, that buying 2 would probably be cheaper than trying to copy. :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Christy!

I can't answer all of your questions, nor do I need to as they have been so well done and these ladies know way more than I do re: HoD.

But I can add my two cents for non-HoD items you asked about.

I haven't taught any of my kids manuscript. We start right at cursive and love the Cursive First curriculum. She offers very good reasons for doing cursive first.

I love the Phonics Pathway by Dolores Hiskes and I know a lot of moms who have used it, as well. Both my boys have developed into strong readers, each in a 12 month span with this book. It has also helped a few of my friends teach their dyslexic children after "learning to read" in PS.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways