Spelling?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

Spelling?

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Can someone tell me more about the spelling in Beyond? I am coming from using a spelling program that is VERY in depth. Does the HOD teach any spelling rules at any point? Or do you just give the lists as is? I was going to stick with our spelling as it is working very nicely, but it does take a TON of time, and the HOD spelling seems so quick! Does it work? :)
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

sharonb

Re: Spelling?

Post by sharonb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 pm

It is quick, but it does work, at least for my ds. We are in a review unit right now, so I'm pulling out old words and having him write them without studying them first. So far he has gotten every word right this week. They are grouped according to patterns/rules, so I know that helps. I think the method is the secret though- they learn to see if a word looks right. Dictation continues this, plus puts words in context.

We used R&S Spelling for 2 years, and my dd would get a 100 on most tests. Yet, she was always asking me how to spell words. So, I decided to go with HOD's recommendations. She is now in dictation level 3 and is doing very well. She still asks how to spell words, but I think she's improving. Time will tell for sure though.

my3sons

Re: Spelling?

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm

It is quick, but it sure has worked for our dc. I've taught a lot of spelling programs in my lifetime, but HOD's is by far my favorite, with my best success rate. I think it is because it incorporates CM style of learning right from the start, and therefore transitions into dictation so smoothly. Here are a few threads that may be helpful...

CM Style Spelling in HOD (why do it, describes spelling plans too):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5645&p=41357#p41357
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10388

Both of our dc are excellent spellers. One started out as a good speller, and one as a poor speller. I'm sold on this method. They have such excellent retention, and it carries over to their own daily writing. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie