blhfhg

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sally525

blhfhg

Post by sally525 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:46 pm

so we will be finishing up Squanto soon and i was wondering if anyone has seen any videos out there on him? I saw one from disney and some gave good reviews and others said there was no historical accuracy. so not sure. looked on PBS and they don't seem to have anything either.

julieabird

Re: blhfhg

Post by julieabird » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:37 am

I've looked and I haven't found any possibilities yet. I did read some reviews on that Disney movie: Squanto, A Warrior's Tale. Like you said, it said the movie is not historically accurate. The movie is rated PG - not sure exactly why. I think the movie plot has Squanto marrying a squaw and learning English from the monks who rescued him from slavery. I am not going to show him the movie at this time. Please update if you find somthing that goes along with the book! We really enjoyed Squanto. We read it faster than we should have. We are now reading Helen Keller. I hope to show him a movie that goes along with what we've read!
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

HappyMama

Re: blhfhg

Post by HappyMama » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Our library carries a couple of dvd series...one is called Animated Hero Classics and the other is American History for Children. I've heard good things about both! One of these series may have a video on Squanto.... I checked with my library and there is one video titled Early Settlers that does talk about Squanto (from the American History for Children series). Just something to check. :)

My library also has the Disney one, but I'm not sure about it either..... maybe I'll check it out and see how it is. :)