1st week in Rev2Rev was great

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dianeh47

1st week in Rev2Rev was great

Post by dianeh47 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:14 pm

We finished our first week in Rev2Rev. My ds is in 7th grade. He is doing the advanced science curriculum. (his choice)
He says his favorite subjects are science, history, inventor study and worthy words. We finished day 4 and all he had to
do on Friday was his science which included making the glider wings. He really loved doing that and the racer earlier in
the week. We are doing the basics side first to get it out of the way because I teach the math, grammar, dictation, creative
writing, bible worldview, and music. I would rather teach in the morning. Also he gets his math and grammar out of
the way because they are't his favorite subjects. He has decided to do one whole chapter of R&S 6 each day so he will do
2 days of grammar instead of 4 days. He says that later he will go to 4 days when the chapters get longer. Because he is
getting older, I am letting him have some imput about school so he will not feel that I am making all the decisions and that
I care about what he would like to do also. I would like to hear from other Rev2Rev's how your first week went.

Carrie or Julie: I would like to know what the time frame for each subject would be, and also if you think The 5000Year Leap
and The Federalist Papers would be too advanced for him at his grade level or too much for him to take on with his other history.
I would appreciate your imput. Thanks.

Blessings,
Diane
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

blessedmomof4

Re: 1st week in Rev2Rev was great

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Sounds like a good start :) I can't wait to get started in Rev to Rev with my 8th grader. She will also be using the advanced science (she excels in that subject), but not extensions, since reading is not her favorite thing to do. She will do CTC storytime with her younger sister :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Diane - I am so pleased to hear your ds is enjoying RevtoRev! :D That is wonderful to hear, especially since I am officially starting it next week with my own ds. :D Carrie and I talked about the RevtoRev times as we laid out our plans, and I'd be glad to share what we are thinking...

Left Side of Plans - Learning Through History
Reading about History: 25 min.
*Note: This may be longer on the written narration day, though this will balance out as there is no history project on the written narration day.
Storytime: 15-20 min.
History Project: 20 min.
Rotating box (Geography, Worthy Words, Timeline, Poetry): 10-20 min. (depending on length of poem and length of primary source document)
State Study: 20 min. (3 x a week)
*Note: One day will be shorter when there is no state study.
Independent History Study: 10-15 min. (longer on "Draw and Write" days)
2 hours (using the longest times)

Right Side of Plans - Learning the Basics
Bible Quiet Time: 15 min.
Music Appreciation: 20 min. (2 x a week)
Biblical Worldview: 20 min. (2 x a week)
Math: 30 min.
*Note: Add 15 min. more if doing "Discovering Mathematics".
Language Arts Box:
Dictation: 5 min. (3 x a week)
DITHOR: 35 min. (3 x a week)
Creative Writing: 25-35 min. (1 x a week)
R & S English: 20 min. (4 x a week)
Science Exploration: 25 min.
Inventor Study: 15-20 min.
2 hours, 50 min. (using the longest times)

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm

Sounds like a great start!!!