little hands vs little heart for 5 year old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
big sky

little hands vs little heart for 5 year old?

Post by big sky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I can not decide wich program will work to start in a few weeks! I originally thought little hands, but now wonder if it is too easy????
my ds can count to 25 and can identify letters 1-10. He can also write these numbers ( but still needs practice). and he knows the basic concept of addition and the basic 1+1, 2+2, 3+1 type facts.He knows the sounds of 2/3 of the alphabet but can only write a few of the letters and is still working on those fine motor skills for writing.
Im not sure if the little hands program is needed since he still needs practice with writing smaller and clearer letters and numbers.... but does that program work on writing, will he advance in those skills? I think if i worked with him he could learn sounds of the rest of the letters in a month or two.
Or should I start him in little hearts? The first week sample looks doable... Im just not sure how good his handwriting work is sapposed to look..... he can do the handwriting page ( we already use k hwt), but its not very neat, tracing is still tough for him to do very well???
the history and bible in either would be fine, and the math even in the little hearts program looks good for the first week, just not sure how quickly it advances. he can sit while we read to him, not worried about that.
I would like a guide to bring structure to his school experience but my concern with little hands is if he has already covered the material?? what skills are mastered by the end of the guide with letters, writing, numbers ect.... so i can tell if he is prepared for the next guide or not.
dd 2.5
ds 5 LHFHG
dd 6.5 LHFHG/ BLHFHG
dd 12

tjswaine

Re: little hands vs little heart for 5 year old?

Post by tjswaine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello. Welcome to HOD. I'm just going to give you a few links to previous threads that may answer some of your questions much better than I can. :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9643&p=70418&hilit= ... ide#p70418
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9719&p=70940&hilit= ... ide#p70940
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

big sky

Re: little hands vs little heart for 5 year old?

Post by big sky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 am

thanks, those links were helpful!
from what i read this is what i gathered.....I could probably go with either but with little hands I would probably only need it until he has finished learning his letter sounds so he can start into the reading program. i would also add to it the practice with writing from our own workbooks, either rod and staff A and B..and HWT k book.

if i start with little hearts than I can just start slower if if the writing is moving too quickly for his skill level.
dd 2.5
ds 5 LHFHG
dd 6.5 LHFHG/ BLHFHG
dd 12