Singapore... one more question!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Busymomma1

Singapore... one more question!

Post by Busymomma1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:23 pm

OK, another Singapore question... when the math problems are presented horizontally in the workbook, does that mean the child is supposed to figure them out mentally? I know Singapore is big on mental math, and there doesn't appear to be space in the workbook sometimes for working the problem out or re-writing vertically. (I know there are specific sections for mental math, but wondering about these other sections). Also, when teaching from the textbook, do you have your kids do all the problems? And do they write those out on paper or a white board? From the textbook, do you just have them do enough to understand and then move on to the workbook, or do you have them pretty much do them all and then go to the workbook?

I'm new to Singapore and after pouring over the books, I just wasn't sure how to approach these things. I feel like maybe I'm not understanding something obvious! :oops: Thanks!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Homeschooln2qts

Re: Singapore... one more question!

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:19 pm

These are such good questions as I have been wondering the exact same things. I just switched my dd from Abeka Math 3 to Singapore 2A and ds from Teaching Textbooks Math 7 to Singapore 4A (yeah, huge drop..right?! lol) Looking forward to reading what responses you get :)
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

cirons

Post by cirons » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Tricia,

Here are some answers based on what we do:
* If a problem is presented horizontally, I assume that my child is to try and work it out mentally, BUT, I have not always found this to be possible so if they can't, I just get them to do it vertically on a piece of paper and write their answer in.
* When teaching from the text book, no, I don't have my child do all the problems. We usually sit there and go through them together and I talk them through any they can't get by themselves. I pick out as many of them as I think they need to get the concept. If they get it quick, I just get them to go on to the workbook immediately. If not, we might do all of the text books qu's. We do as much of it mentally as possible, but if not, we just have a piece of paper (or whiteboard if you prefer) to work it out.

HTH,
Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I have my child do every problem in the textbook, sometimes on a whiteboard, sometimes mentally, sometimes on paper. My children try to do all their work mentally and they are good at it, but when they are wrong, I have no idea why. So, I try to get them to write out the problems in the workbook.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks, ladies! Very helpful. Miranda, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the questions! :lol:
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)